Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently just bought a sand rail with a Subaru engine. I was a mechanic for 14 years. (mostly on Honda/Toy) I used to go to Pismo Dunes as a kid, and now I want to get back into it.

Here are the numbers I pulled off it so far:

Casting Number on Bell Housing:

Intake manifold casting number near alternator:

EJ22

What can you guys tell me about this engine? (the good, bad, and the ugly. Don't worry, you wont hurt my feelings as I got a smoking deal on this thing.) Can you tell me what model car and year it may have come out of? The previous owner told me this is a 2.0 engine which I have a feeling is incorrect ... But that's why I am here. Thanks in advance! It's powered by a Link ECU 1st Generation aftermarket computer.

Here are some pics also:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DC0nq8TbIemrTVQrC9I07PqGFyuSs1LG?usp=sharing

Model EJ22 tells you it is definitely a 2.2 engine, not a 2.0 motor. Others here on this forum will probably be able to tell you if it is a gen 1 or a gen 2 motor. All 2.2 motors have a reputation of being super reliable, and hard to break. Just keep the engine full of clean oil, and don't let the aluminum alloy motor over heat, and it will run forever.

I'd need to see the top of the engine to tell specifically but it's a Phase 1 '90-'98 version, based on the valve (rocker) covers.

The '97-'98 version had higher CR and may not like that turbo as much as the '90-'96 versions...assuming it's Stock internals?...but I see aftermarket or just newer-style top-feed fuel injectors, so maybe it's not much stock left....

That appears to be a good sized turbo (for a stock EJ22 anyway)....so another clue it's had some major engine upgrades?

Cool rig...have fun.

non-interference right?

Depends :-)

...Yes, for stock internals '90-'96. '97+ all Subarus were interference, AFAIK. 

But this this looks custom - wouldn't be surprised if some Wiseco forged are in there....which are probably lower compression to handle that big turbo, so less likely to be interference.

Casting number doesn't mean much but if you can find a VIN stamp on it that will tell you exactly what year it is and what car it originally came from. If there's no VIN a serial number may be in its place that can be checked through a Subaru dealer for info. Looking at the front of the engine, the VIN stamp should be on the lower left corner of the bellhousing.

There are also some differences in the design of the casting that will identify if it's a turbo design block or n/a block.

IIRC there's a waffle pattern all over the block on the turbo versions.

I would think that if someone went through the trouble to put it in a rail like that they would have built the internals, but it's helpful sometimes to know exactly if it's a turbo block or not.

It's a dual port, 90-95 ej22e.

+1 it’s dual port heads so those are 1990-1995 EJ22 heads. One of the best engines Subaru ever made. Don’t run out oil or overheat and they run forever. Not sure what they do with forces induction and racing but they’re reasonably tough engines.

If it doesn’t have an EGR valve location on the rear of the drivers side head and intake manifold the it’s a 1995 EJ22 as the 95 manuals are the only ones without EGR right?

All EJ22 heads and blocks are essentially interchangeable so the block and heads aren’t required to be the same, you’ll have to guess the heads intake and block are from the same engine.

90-95 are all noninterference.

90-95 timing kits are all the same and will be the older version two piece timing tensioner and timing kits.

All 90-95 EJ22s are interchangeable, Impreza legacy wagon sedan etc.

• Like 1

Cool rig mate! I bet it sounds awesome (and loud!) with that straight off the turbo dump pipe!

To identify if it's a turbo block for that era you need to look at the block under the original alternator position and on the back of the engine where the start motor mounts to the gearbox. If there's a small cross hatched pattern in the casing in these areas it should tell you that it's a turbo block from the Legacy SS. This also means it'll be a closed deck block - so if it's been properly worked you can really push this engine and not worry about the cylinders "walking" under high boost applications.

From the pics I can't see enough to be sure about the origin of the block. If it was in Oz it'd be pretty easy since our Legacy SS equivalent (Liberty RS) was a 2 litre DOHC engine with the same casting marks as described above.

I'm keen to see a video of the rooster tails this thing kicks up!

Cheers

Bennie

look at the area of the engines bellhousing that the starter bolts to.  If it has ridges concentric to the starter bulge, it is a closed deck factory turbo 2.2 block.  If it has smooth, rounded bulge, it is a standard N/A open deck block and who knows what for pistons inside.

My guess is it's an N/A block and heads, as the valve cover only has a single breather line, not 2 lines, like the turbo models.

If it was that cheap I’d just run it and see how it goes. Nothing there too hard to replace. I’d guess the initial builder did it correctly. Looks like a great effort with decent cash , not overboard.

My thought is that engine is a 90-94 that got built.

Enjoy it and show pics of the major roost !!!

I uploaded more pics of the engine to the same folder. I found various places of the engine block that resemble a waffle cone texture. Does that mean this is a stronger turbo block as mentioned above? Also, the engine does have an EGR mounted to the intake (not hooked up). Thanks to everyone who responded. Hopefully these pics can further elaborate. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DC0nq8TbIemrTVQrC9I07PqGFyuSs1LG

Rooster Tail pics coming soon! I am replacing the tach (not working) and a couple other little things. I hope to be heading out to the dunes March 25th. The previous owner told me the turbo/engine is tuned to 4 psi boost. (I only drove it off the trailer) That seems very low to me considering the size of the turbo. However, he told me the owner before him had it tuned conservatively as to not cause any engine damage. 178 rear wheel horsepower according to the dyno tune report he provided. Again, seems a little low to me but input is appreciated!

Edited by jakesubarurail
  • Like 1

Your new rail looks like it has been well designed and professionally built. If possible suggest you track down the builder to ask about the rail. Lots of things I bet you would like to know. Maybe you can trace it back through previous owner.

Rooster2, the company was called Sand Stallion out of Arizona. (Multiple badges and a website on the car) They are long gone when the market crashed. So, I am having to go backwards on this. Good advice though! It will be a lot of research and time, but I will get it figured out eventually. On the bright side, I didnt pay $35,000 for it like the 1st guy.