Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87.5 XT AWD Turbo ...564km...needle at empty

thougfhgt i posted in here somewhere when my Vortex was at 300km and fuel gauge was at half full, half empty mark.

I wondered if this was gonna be accurate and get me 600 km at splutter empty, need to get the jery can out situation

Well, this tank of Aussie bought 98, probably made in Malaysia fuel is at 564 km, and the needle is now at empty.

Took her out on a warm night, windows down, roof plug out, starry night with Pat Benatar belting it out via the cassette deck and quad speakers. Still got home without a hint of running out ye.

Watch this space ... about 16km to the 98 source tomorrow. Curious to know what the tanks actual capacity is compared to rumours and specification sheets :)

Landed at the 98 bowser with 600.0 on the trip meter since last fill same site. Took just under 55 litres ....54.73 litres.

It was not hinting that it was about to run dry

Maybe they hold 60 liters?

Landed at the 98 bowser with 600.0 on the trip meter since last fill same site. Took just under 55 litres ....54.73 litres.

It was not hinting that it was about to run dry

Maybe they hold 60 liters?

Why didn’t you look up the tank size in the owners manual or FSM? the tanks are all the same part and 15.7 or 15.9 gallons or approx 60 liters.

I’ve refilled with over 15 gallons (57+ liters) many times.

If you have a consistent drive - say a highway trip you can easily calculate how far you can drive and assuming hills and running condition are favorable you can dial in how far you can drive very accurately based on that tank size.

put a gallon of gas in your trunk and try it a few times until you get a feel for it.

That might be easier to do here where 1,000 km consistent speed/elevation/flatness road trips are common.

It’s possible to exceed 800km on a tank in some XTs. Particularly a perfect running FWD manual. 35 or more mpg and run it for 15.2 gallons on highway trips.

600 km is only 380 miles or less than 25 mpg which is easy on many XTs for highway travel, which even a 6 cylinder XT6 can do.

Again - we can cruise at highway speeds for an entire day with ideal conditions here where that’s probably less likely in some places.

I should have explained that due to so many questions popping up on social media and forums about tank size of various Subarus. Questions seem to continue despite mine and others specs quoted from FSMs, so it affectred my small brain....

I did wonder out loud at first once I had 300km on gauge at the half full mark as to whether gauge would drop faster for the second half, and once I got the 600 km decided should follow through with my original questioning.

I had 4.8 litres in a plastic, Canadian made petrol container in the rear just in case I did run dry :)

Also at the back of my mind the number of times people get further problems once they have sucked the dregs from a fuel tank through a usually unknown condition fuel filter. I have one such fuel filter waiting for trusted renewal afetr running fuel cleaners and conditioners through it.

Then maybe I wil run it to a sputter, maybe get 60 litres plus in it :)

I’m almost positive the owners manual has capacity @15.9 gallons and the low fuel light is designed to come on at 2.7 gallons remaining.

And it’s been really close. In consistent and predictable driving I can multiply 2.7 gallons times my gas mileage and get basically right on the money.

I wouldn’t trust my current XT6 that much but I no longer do those long predictable drives consistently like I used to.

All 88-91s AWD are the same at 15.9. I’m unsure about FWD or earlier versions but I’d assume that didn’t change?

• Like 1

60L tank Jono.

I've driven to rAdelaide from the Macedon Ranges (Hanging Rock area, as in the picnic at Hanging Rock hanging rock :P), about 740 or so kms. I managed to fill my L's tank with 62 litres to the brim. Just before this the engine would surge as you gently pulled up to the lights! This was when my L ran the MPFI EA82, otherwise standard with two passengers and gear for a week's stay interstate. We then did the same on the way home including a few decent overtaking sessions along the way.

So I've come to the conclusion that the owner's manual is correct with the fuel tank being 60L capacity. The L wagon also has the biggest cargo area of any Subaru to date - largest floor space and height from floor to roof.

With the EJ22 conversion my tank size remained the same as did my fuel economy but power/performance was so much better. Then I lifted it, ran a rear bar with jerry can and spare tyre plus a roof rack. Now if I drive it nice fully loaded I can get 10L/100km but usually manage to pull 12L/100km. Worst was 15.8L/100km across the Nullarbor, loaded, roof rack full, headwind and travelling at 115kmph as that's where the vehicle felt happiest. I was ok paying for it at the bowser. Good trip that one too!

That aside, Jono, my L can drop the needle about two mm off the bottom of the "E" mark before I'm really in dire straighs. I don't do that often as I'm not into burning out efi pumps ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo
  • Like 1