Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1800 Fuel Tank/Pick up issues

Hi everyone,

I'm currently chasing a fuel issue on my 82 1800gl.It is having g a problem going up hills, was thinking that the stock pump was tired or not up to the task of keeping the fuel bowl in the weber carburetor it was converted to.

This weekend I upgraded to the Carter style rotors vein pump some of the Weber swap sites reccomend, which is a high flow, but low pressure. It seems to have helped a little bit, but not entirely, or consistently. I have been using a hill near the garage for testing, and for the most part, it makes it almost 50% further up.

While messing around with it and trying different things, I have noticed that it will go up the same hill in reverse with no drama. It also runs great on the level, the only exception is if I really wind it up giving it the beans, it'll starve our around the top of 3rd gear.

Tank had around 9 gallons in it, and to me the last common denominator is that the fuel is pushed twards the rear of the tank when this is going on. So, sorry for the long winded post, but wanted to be thorough. Curious if anyone else has had a similar issue, and if I'm on the right track. Unfortunately, I think finding out isn't going to be easy, because unless my eyes deceived me, I think the pickup is part of the tank, and the only way to repair it is to dissasemble the tank.

From the looks of it, the pickup tube comes in through the front, wraps around the inside of the tank to the end of the pickup near the rear of the tank. I'm thinking that maybe there's a break or pinhole twards the front of the tank where I was not able to see would cause it to suck air when the tube isn't fully submerged.

It doesn't look like a new tank for my year is available, so repair may be my only option, unless anyone knows weather or not a newer year may fit. Otherwise, this may get interesting.

P.s. didn't mention it before, but the float level in the carb is in adjustment, and I am fairly certain fuel starvation is the issue. With the front up on ramps, and the air cleaner off, you can watch the fuel level in the bowl drop. Less so with the new pump.

I have a 86  GL wagon with the EA-82.  i have a Weber 38-38 syncro carb and get stuttering and "fuel starvation when making Left hand hard turn that require a few pumps of the pedal to keep fuel to the venturi and running smoother.    You may want to check your fuel filter back by the tank.  i had an issue where the car would be fine on the flats but when i got to the hills i had just no power and was down to  like 40 mph with cars and truck passing me.  the filter change made the difference.  my carburator is installed backwars cuz i have the AC unit still on the car so the Left turn starves the float bowl with enough fuel while in the turn. I Hope this helps some. 

A couple of things come to mind. First, it's possible your float is set too low in the carb. I would check that and make sure it's set correctly. Second, if you've got 9 gallons in the tank (3/4 full) and this is happening, then you could have a rust hole in the pickup tube inside the tank. It would have to be a small hole such that the pump can overcome the loss of suction for a while but eventually loses the battle. Drop the tank, pull the sender and inspect.

Thanks, I'm suspecting something along those lines. I did have the sender out, and was able to get a few cell phone pics. Tank itself looks crusty, tube doesn't look bad where I can see it, but i'm thinking the area of concern is closer to the front of the tank over the hump that goes over the diff, which is of coarse where I cannot see. I may have access to a scope later in the week, but either way it'd be good to drop and try cleaning up the tank.

Fuel filter is new, but already has a few flecks of debris, I'm guessing pieces of pickup tube

Edited by Lone Starr

It has to be something in the pickup line, not in the tank itself. Pull the sender back out, plug one end of the pickup line and blow into the other. That should show your problem area. Either that or the 'sock' on the bottom of the pickup line is plugged. That would do it too if you were under a hard load up a hill, but wouldn't explain the no problem in reverse.

The pickup on my gl is not part of the sending unit. The pickup is part of the tank, running a steel tube into the front of the tank, whick then snakes along the inide of the tank to the strainer, whereas the sending unit is its own unit installed from the back of the tank. Sorry I can't show pix off my phone at the moment.

So that is a great idea plugging one end and applying pressure, but there's now way to plug the end bc it's part of the tank, and there is no access to the end without pulling the tank apart.

At this point, dropping the tank is gonna be a must for inspection and possible repair. If a new tank was available I would just order one, bc as mentioned, mine isn't the prettiest looking from the inside. Tanks for newer models are available, but I'd need to find a different level sending unit,bc 85 and up it looks like they all cone in through the top rather than the rear wall like mine.

Edited by Lone Starr

Yup, major surgery later this week, I'll keep you all posted. I've got a tank for newer gl's I'm going to see if I can make work, but at the very least I'm gonna need to find a sender for that tank, or get very creative, bc I cannot find a listing for a new one.

Kind of going through the same issue with my 83. Starving for gas during high demand. Changing filter and vapor separator didn't help, so last weekend I rigged up a flushing system with a high flow pump. Pushed a hose down the fill tube and hooked to a marine filter/water separator with a clear bowl, then to the intake of the pump. Then I ran the output to the tanks pickup tube, so it would backflush the sock. Let that run for about an hour, shaking the back of the car up and down to slosh things around. Got quite a bit of crap out of it. Most just looked like crystalized fuel/additives that dried out during periods of non-use, a few pieces of petrified leaves, (don't ask me how) probably enough to block the sock. It did seem to help, but still runs out if you go WOT through 4th gear, so I'm suspecting the pump now, which is aftermarket, and have another on the way.

I'll keep you posted. Waiting on a few things before I get back at it. Going to drop tank and attempt to separate the halves ( after adequately evacuating the tank of fuel and vapors) Haven't been able to upload pics yet, but the inside of my tank is kinda ugly. Have a new tank on the way for an 85-89, and im waiting on a sending unit to match as well, and I'll let you know if the retrofit isn't too bad

• 1 month later...

Update: The newer fuel tank is not compatible, physically too big. I ended up making a new pickup tube and strainer that seems to be working out well. Unfortunately, did not remedy my issue. I ended up bypassing the return t under the hood, and the underhood filter, which seems to have done it. Seems like return setup for the factory carb did not allow for sufficient pressure or flow for the weber carb, and possibly the angle of driving would allow fuel to spill back to the tank rather than further forward to the carb. I would like to setup a return line again, but I think it's going to require a valve that doesn't open till 6 or 7 psi

I'd also look at blowing compressed air back through the feeder fuel lines.

Disconnect at fuel pump so that's not going to be damaged.

And blow back from pump hose from fuel tank. Any crud in the lines that's impeding flow will be blown out hopefully.

It's a good idea to give your tank a thorough clean after this procedure ;)

A few blokes over here had the same sort of issue with their brumby/MY wagons. This was the common fix.

Cheers

Bennie