Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dizzy stuff

Short answer is yes.

must take the driven gear off of an EA81 hitachi disty, and install it onto an EA82 hitachi disty.  Must also cut off one of the 2 "ears" and slot out the bolt down hole a bit more.

Doesn't work with Denso.

The reason for doing this mod is to install the optical disty in the EA81 for SPFI.  No reason to do this with carbed engine.

you'd never read of ea81 dizzy to be made work in ea82 !

Some did it to replace points ea81 dizzy with module EA82 dizzy....

We didn't get EA81 w/points.

We had some EA71 w/ points up to 78? 79?

I actually would like to have an EA81 w/ a weber and points ready to go when the Atmospheric EMP pulse hits, lol

We didn't get EA81 w/points.

We had some EA71 w/ points up to 78? 79?

I actually would like to have an EA81 w/ a weber and points ready to go when the Atmospheric EMP pulse hits, lol

An EMP is not going to hurt an electronic distributor. For one the engine bay itself, having no windows acts like a big faraday cage.

The bigger problem will be having an operable vehicle when the roads are clogged with accidents from stalled cars - most of which will restart after the EMP passes, but many will cause accidents as the stall on the freeway, and panicking citizens trying to flee some perceived threat such as the nuke that created the EMP.

Better to keep a dual sport motorcycle wrapped in several layers of tin-foil in the shed if you really need a bug-out solution.

GD

Wife and kids yo. Gotta have room for the car seat, even in the apocalypse.

Well then two motor cycles and a baby seat on the back of one. Cars won't get far with roads clogged or full of invading forces, etc. Unless you already live in the country. Then basically you just have to get farther out of town.

Cars will be useless for city dwellers as there wont be any passable roads. Motorcycles will get through the traffic jams and you could stash a truck at your destination.

Regardless the 1980's electronic ignition modules under the steel hood of a similar vintage vehicle are not going to be the least bit damaged by an EMP. Their cicuit density is too low and their circuit paths are large by modern standards. EMP may temporarily cause interference but it couldn't possibly burn one out. Not enough current could be generated via EMP to damage their comparatively enormous circuits.

GD

i've actually had this discussion with my friends and have a few questions myself,

so if a country sent an EMP bomb to a certain part of the U.S. obviously a points type distributor would keep the car running around while everyone else tries to shoot you for the car like in the movie War of the Worlds, and if you have the original 70's radio in it, that'll probably keep working too since the copper and such are overly done, although don't know if the old clarion radios from the 70's have vacuum tubes or microprocessors, i doubt it has any chips. and no, not potato chips.

in 77? 78? somewhere in there the ignition control module came out, being that its in 1/4 inch metal encased and the pick up coil is just a magnet with 2 wires comming out of it (no electronics there) then it would be perfectly fine right?

i've also read somewhere that you should keep an ignition coil in a metal safe, but an ignition coil is just copper windings with some liquid inside of it, plus its encased in pretty thick metal so thats got me confused there. EMP would burn up tiny wires only right? like in a microprocessor? so it would affect our older vehicles, but probably not even noticeable since the copper was way thicker back in the day and they weren't worried about weight reduction to the last ounce. i still got the original 40 year old ignition coil working on mine, are the new ones made of thinner wires?

and plus like GD said, you got the thick metal of the vehicle itself unlike today's cars.

any opinions?

Edited by Subasaurus

its not really on my radar from a prepping situation really.  if a country sends an emp or nuke at us its not the same as a crashing society.  We are still an active country of citizens, were just at war now.  help will be on the way and it hopefully wont be a long time without support.  while I wouldnt depend on our government management for my life I would think staying put and having a basic stockpile is your best bet.  taking off to the wilderness or any unknown parts is pretty terrible unless where you are is actively going to get you killed.

that said id probably go the spare parts route.  has the advantage of easier protection in whatever style you pick, and also gives you a spare part that is a consumable anyway. 

make sure you have the essential survival gear first, namely food, water, friends.  guns and cars range from necessary to frivolous depending on the situation but you can easily starve with 10k worth of gear so dont get hyped about it.

best option imo is to have a predetermined location that many people are going to.  plan on being able to get there on foot even if its a prolonged trip.  even better is someplace slightly out of range of cars completely.  if you dont already have a place to go, think seriously before you leave your local area.

• Like 1

Hmmm... Dizzys right??

I've not done the ea82 to ea81 swap but have seen it done.

I have never heard of the ea81 dizzy being used in the ea82. IIRC, the ea82 has an extended shaft beyond the drive gear where as ea81 does not. I don't know if this little shaft is part of the drive gear or the dizzy's shaft protruding beyond the drive gear.

Have a go, document what you find whether it works or not ;)

Cheers

Bennie