Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I went to the wrecking yard to pick up Subaru some half shafts, and the first one the brought me wasn't green. It did have a couple of flecks of green paint on the bands that seal the boot, but the body around the upper joint wasn't green.

Here is a picture. It came out of a 2001 Outback.

Am I correct in thinking that all of the genuine Subaru axles are green? 

post-11528-0-02329600-1522100457_thumb.jpg

post-11528-0-49757800-1522100482_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I’d call that aftermarket.

But I’m not familiar with remans.

The clamps have green dots on them. Is that the yard or an OEM marking?

The outer boot doesn’t look like an OEM boot but maybe is just the resolution or stretch. Does it feel likes it “stiffer” than the inner boot like OEM?

I know at least in my area, no one buys factory remain axles, so it's not something we ever see.

Same here. Rust, age, and market reduce viability of those prices. They’re uncommon and the market spreads out and isolates what is already a small sample size.

Maybe I didn’t notice one or a couple over the years but otherwise they’ve all been local chain or rebooted OEM.

Thanks GD and Lucky Texan, I'll look for a NTN stamp when I go back. 

idosubaru:

The green dots aren't from the yard. The yard does paint numbers on parts, but they use a yellow paint marker. They look like they were put on the straps right where they join, maybe to indicate if the boot has been tampered with or replaced. 

The boots felt noticeably softer than the green one they also had (that I did buy.) There was more a a "silicone" texture to the rubber, too.