Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 impreza auto to manual swap wiring questions

kyleimpreza

Hey all, I have a 96 impreza ej22 just swapped in a manual from a 00 impreza outback, have the tcu removed and pins for neutral safety switch in engine bay bridged but I'm trying to figure out what pin I need to ground out on my ecu to make it realize its a manual now I'm new here so trying to figure out how this site works im on my mobile phone so it's not giving me option to upload the picture of the pinout chart I'm using but on the chart pins 79 and 80 go to the transmission control system would it be one of those? What I've read up so far is that there is supposed to be a wire missing and you have to put a pin in and ground that wire out for the ecu to realize that it's a manual transmission but 79 and 80 both have wires so I'm kinda lost here, also the care is throwing a knock sensor code and a idle speed control code would that have anything to do with the transmission not being wired properly I'm doubting it but just figured I'd ask, any help is greatly appreciated thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Pin 81 is the AT/MT discrimination.  Add a pin and ground it for AT

Pin 80 is the 'AT diagnostic signal"  I would ignore it, leave unhooked

Pin 79 is Torque converter lock/unlock signal.  Ignore it too, leave unhooked.

you could even pull the connector from either 79 or 80 and use it for the 79 ground.

• 5 years later...
On 4/12/2018 at 5:56 PM, Gloyale said:

Pin 81 is the AT/MT discrimination.  Add a pin and ground it for AT

Pin 80 is the 'AT diagnostic signal"  I would ignore it, leave unhooked

Pin 79 is Torque converter lock/unlock signal.  Ignore it too, leave unhooked.

you could even pull the connector from either 79 or 80 and use it for the 79 ground.

What about pin 82 for AT?