Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 to EA82 suspension swap lift block question

Hello I have a 1982 Subaru brat that i’m putting EA82 front suspension and a 4 inch lift on. Does anyone know what degree angle i’m supposed to cut the front strut blocks? I know for EA81 you cut the blocks at 14 degrees and EA82 18 degrees. Somebody told me his EA81 to EA82 strut blocks were cut at 8 degrees. I’m not sure what degree to cut it at.

I think it would depend on weather or not your using the ea82 controle arms and or strut top mounts the ea82 set up is wider than the ea81 the ea82 top hat has 3 bolts and i think you can manipulate the position a little bit since you need to drill new holes anyway if your building the lift your self just get extra steel in case you need to redo it if you take the strut off the car and use some pipe for mock up bolt it to the hub and plumb up the tire set your ride hight with a jack and mesure the angle of the pipe it will atleast get you in to the ball park or leave the strut on jack to new ride hight plumb tire measure the distance from the mount holes to where the new studs are gona go then devide by 4 then figure out the angle using math stuff i prefer mock up and measure method over the math method but both will get you close enuff to awnser your question

I dont know for sure but I would probably start with a mock up using the ea81 angles.  primarily as I understand it your accounting for the angle of the top of the strut tower.  do you drill 2 holes for the ae82 tops or do you put the 82 strut in the 81 top?

I think it would depend on weather or not your using the ea82 controle arms and or strut top mounts the ea82 set up is wider than the ea81 the ea82 top hat has 3 bolts and i think you can manipulate the position a little bit since you need to drill new holes anyway if your building the lift your self just get extra steel in case you need to redo it if you take the strut off the car and use some pipe for mock up bolt it to the hub and plumb up the tire set your ride hight with a jack and mesure the angle of the pipe it will atleast get you in to the ball park or leave the strut on jack to new ride hight plumb tire measure the distance from the mount holes to where the new studs are gona go then devide by 4 then figure out the angle using math stuff i prefer mock up and measure method over the math method but both will get you close enuff to awnser your question

Yes i will be using the complete EA82 suspension, control arms hubs etc. that’s probably what I have to do, maybe mock it up with PVC piping haha.

I dont know for sure but I would probably start with a mock up using the ea81 angles.  primarily as I understand it your accounting for the angle of the top of the strut tower.  do you drill 2 holes for the ae82 tops or do you put the 82 strut in the 81 top?

the blocks will be an adapter from the ea81 two bolt tops to the ea82 3 bolt tops. i’ve been hearing a wide range of angles to make it work from 0 degrees all the way to 17 degrees

why the ea82 control arm? for the axles or do you want the extended wheelbase?  just for info the steering isnt setup for the wider wheelbase so if you push everything outwards you will need an ea82 steering rack in it.

EA82 parts are easier to come by, i get power steering and stronger axles. I’ve got a stash of parts just in case a spindle or strut breaks. I also like the look of a wider front track, it only pushes the tires out 1.75” iirc

well if you push out the lower controls then you will need less angle to push the strut out farther.  I don't know what angle, but it would be less than the normal lift block. if you know that the lower will push out 1.75 then the top should do the same to maintain alignment.  draw a side view of the standard ea81 lift block to scale on a piece of paper.  make a mark 1.75 inches farther to the outside (or whatever you find is the actual extra width is).  remeasure the angle from that new bottom point to the original top marks. should be close.

dont forget that each side will take up half the total extra width, not the full amount.  also triple check once you draw the lift block that it is orientated correctly, they can easily seem backwards or off when your just looking at them.

• 2 weeks later...