Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! Looking into buying a 1984 Turbo Coupe, what can I do to it?

I have found a 1984 4wd Turbo Coupe in my area for sale. Has an automatic transmission currently. I'm new to the world of mods so I have a few questions about it.

Is there anything to worry about with the turbo? Are the engines as reliable as a non turbo EA-82?

I have a guy in my area with a few GL wagons with the hi/lo 4x4 and manual transmissions, could I swap out the automatic and push button in the 84 for this set up? It would be ideal for me if it's possible.

Any further insight is appreciated before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

• Like 1

Being a 1984, it should have an EA-81 Turbo. Most likely that one is water cooled so that helps the reliability a lot, although there seems to be some disagreement as to how reliable they are. The engine has to be kept cool, or it will crack everything on and around it. I have a used working ea-81t in my garage now and it made it this far in the world, so take that as you will. I have certainly heard of swapping trannys for a manual but I don't know the specifics about that operation. I have a handful of parts for an 84 turbo coupe so give me a shout if you need something, I'll see if I have it. If the vehicles in decent shape, I'd say snatch it up. I always thought they were neat little vehicles and pretty rare at this point. Good Luck

Not reliable at this age, and ZERO parts are available for the EA81T. This is not a viable driver. Collectible and or restoration project - dubious but possible if you really like pain and anguish and being severely frustrated. They made that engine for only 2 model years and they are extremely RARE. Also only has 90 HP so the whole turbo setup is completely pointless. No tuning can be done, and if you turn it up you'll just blow it up.

Yes the automatic is junk. The 3AT had problems with pump drive shaft splines, and governor gear wear... no parts available for that either.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Not reliable at this age, and ZERO parts are available for the EA81T. This is not a viable driver. Collectible and or restoration project - dubious but possible if you really like pain and anguish and being severely frustrated. They made that engine for only 2 model years and they are extremely RARE. Also only has 90 HP so the whole turbo setup is completely pointless. No tuning can be done, and if you turn it up you'll just blow it up.

Yes the automatic is junk. The 3AT had problems with pump drive shaft splines, and governor gear wear... no parts available for that either.

GD

I drive mine every day.

The turbo is not pointless.

It is all about the area under the torque curve,not horsepower.

The ea81t has plenty.

My automatic works fine.

The torque multiplication combined w/the small turbo makes for an excellent around town car.

Mine spun the wheels at a wet stoplight this morning.

Not sure which parts you consider so problematic.

I just put  a $20 Chinese fuel pressure regulator on mine.

I have to agree though,if you modify it,you will probably wreck it.

The heads get too hot at much higher than stock boost.

• Like 4

I have found a 1984 4wd Turbo Coupe in my area for sale. Has an automatic transmission currently. I'm new to the world of mods so I have a few questions about it.

Are the engines as reliable as a non turbo EA-82?

Of course not,it is a turbo,but on the plus side,there is no carb.

More reliable than an ea82 turbo though.

Yes you can swap in a manual trans.

No an EA82 will not "swap right in". The EA81T is fuel injected and its not compatible with the EA82. The injectors are in the heads, not the manifold - along with about 1000 other differences.

Neither will the manual transmission for that matter. The floor pan won't clear without modification, you will need a pedal assembly, driveline, and possibly a different rear diff - not to mention clutch, flywheel, and then wiring for the reverse lights, and ignition system to allow it to start....

Too much work. It's not worth it.

Naru - yours doesn't count in the grand scheme. This guy doesn't have your skill level. And overall the 3AT is not that reliable. I'm sure eventually you will eat one. That's why there are so few left - only 4 speed cars - which is crazy because the 4 speed was junk also.

GD

act on impulse and buy it, then deal with all the positive and negative comments. I certainly would.

The reason Subaru is so popular now is due to their reliability through late 70's, building up to the eighties and early nineties.

Dont expect it to be a performer or reliable at this age WITHOUT putting in some broken nails, debarked knuckles and a few cartons of beer - at least.

A wise old Subie nut once told me not to take shortcuts with these old girls, treat them right and they wuill show you respect.

That advice has paid true for me nearly twenty years and many different versions

Dont ask anyone as a comparison. Whatever you do will only improve the old two door. Much better to drive than a four door if you have height in you like I do. In a four door, seat right back, look sideways and a foor door will give you nice view of middle pillar ...two door nuh uh

• Like 1

I would also say buy it, at least it will be in the community.

I've owned my turbo wagon since 2003 and it has been one of the most reliable cars I've owned.  The bodies and interiors are all 99.99% the same as non-turbos, the differences start to show up when you get to the engine (and the trans, but its not really that different from any other 3AT).

Obviously any part of the intake and exhaust system will unique to the EA81T.  The exhaust can be fabricated by anyone, but the intake hose from the filter housing to the turbo is NLA and they are getting old and brittle, so check that hose.  The cylinder heads are different as well, since they have castings for the fuel injectors, and they will all crack between the valves eventually (This is not the death sentence it is in an EA82T, my engine has cracks on at least two cylinders and doesn't use coolant or overheat.  The blocks can interchange with the later EA81s, but it must have a threaded boss on the case for the knock sensor.  The fuel system is different, from the tank to the cylinder heads, as is the ignition system and emissions control parts.

Most of these parts can be replicated, repaired or recreated using ingenuity.  The parts that are really going to hang you out to dry are the ignition control module, ECU, cylinder heads and a few other electrical engine control related bits.  These parts do not exist (give or take) in the aftermarket and will stop you dead if they fail.

As for the manual transmission conversion, don't let GD scare you, it's actually a really simple conversion.  I didn't hammer my trans tunnel, but I did grind down an unused boss on the transmission case that was tapping the trans tunnel.  New transmission mounts help keep the trans from flopping around too, but both EA-series chassis have garbage transmission mounts.  The conversion would allow an opportunity to improve that.  Most of the conversion is just unbolting the AT parts and replacing them with the appropriately modified MT part.  The wiring is simple as pie and you can keep cruise control if you do it right, again, really simple.  THis could be done in a long weekend if you had all the parts on hand and no bolts are rusted/broken during R&R.  I only drove the car for about 40 miles with the AT (no 3rd gear when I bought it) before I swapped mine.  I went with the EA82 transmission, flywheel and clutch, but that made the swap a little more complicated.  I needed sleeve-shims for the flywheel bolts and customized shifters and transmission crossmember to adapt the later trans.  I wouldn't keep the AT in the long run.  Drive it until the 3AT dies, then swap it, these cars deserve a manual.

As far as the turbo setup being completely useless, I'm going to call bullshit.  Stock vs. stock, the EA81T makes 13% more hp and 36% more torque than a big-valve USDM EA81, and that torque peaks at a lower rpm as well.  The area under the curve on the EA81T puts the n/a version to shame.  All it takes is one WOT pull through third gear (with a manual trans) and you'll know who's king of the EA81s.

Tuning can be done to the engine because it's such an old design, it's fairly simple to trick the system into making more power.  True, there are no software upgrades available outside of stand-alone engine management, but you can turn up the wick safely, just make sure you've got enough fuel to avoid a lean condition and that your cooling system, temperature gauge and cooling fans are all working.  Turbocharged engines love exhaust work and swapping the mechanical fan for an electric one will free a few more ponies without getting into the range of making "unreliable power."  I've done just exhaust work on my car so far, but have had plans for more power for years.  Then I got a WRX and left the wagon alone, but I may dip back into hopping up the EA81T it soon.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/5/2018 at 1:24 AM, AtlasTitan said:

Is there anything to worry about with the turbo? Are the engines as reliable as a non turbo EA-82?

I have a guy in my area with a few GL wagons with the hi/lo 4x4 and manual transmissions, could I swap out the automatic and push button in the 84 for this set up? It would be ideal for me if it's possible.

Any further insight is appreciated before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

Did you end up buying it?