Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SPFI pics request

G'day all,

I'm working on an SPFI conversion that's made its way to Oz, originally from Alaska!

I'm chasing images of the setup for the intake manifold.  My kit did not have an intake manifold included, TomRhere was kind enough to sort me out with one - not to put it all together and get the plumbing of the EGR, crankcase ventilation system etc correct.

If anyone here that has an SPFI system that's easily accessible, could you please drop the pics below this post or in my other thread in the retrofitting subforum?

I'll be especially interested in converted EA81 engines, and I'm wanting to see how the EGR exhaust pipe piece is fitted - I've read about the factory pipe from the EA82 fits to the EA81 - I don't have this pipe so I'm hoping to work something out.  I also don't have any exhaust holes in my RHS head... so keen to see what the go is there.

Any pics appreciated!  And yes, I've done a google image search, no real good ones that are suitable for my needs atm.

Regards

Bennie

Both my spfi manifolds have been ratted beyond any wet fuel needs, sold left over bits to Tweetys Tony. Will have to make a custom EGR maybe even off the top of the head like some early EA81 or imported ones were ....

Just cap it off it dosent do anything unless you need it for emissions inspection i caped mine off and have had no issues

Sorry i think the trolls have everyone in a tizzy

If you need some pics i will take a few when i get home if no one else dose

Yes it certainly would Dave. I need to know how to route the crank case ventilation pipe work, where the purge control solenoid line run for proper fuel tank ventilation and what the small port on the back side of the intake almost above the throttle body is for/where it's plumbed in.

Thanks heaps mate! I'm looking forward to having this sorted!

Cheers

Bennie

Ironic from the bloke that always dissed facebook. Even more ironic is that you won't find me anywhere on there now...

Thanks for the idea though.

Cheers

Bennie

I still diss it Bennie !! Had to laugh the other day when I got all these birthday wishes - yep fb told everyone my birthday :(

Not sure if fb realises it is one step to cloning someones ID, maybe it was Cambridge analytical ? :D

Good Luck. I get a birthday wish every month or so from all over the net :D :D :D

Some old bloke talked me into joinng up - sold a car within 24 hours :sob:  :sob:  to a kid only 900 metres away from me :D - a community noticeboard could only get that close !!

Also sold some parts quite easily through fb as well. Guessing when got nothing to part with, nothing to say - getting closer every day my fb will disolve a little

Surely you have so much flippin' car building experience you can work it out without any help ??

Whenever I redo PCV stuff I use heater hose from rocker covers to air filter box. If you have efi EA82 block I also include the rear breather - all three are designed for air to exit the crankcase [ and not as I once interpreted - in one side, out the other :) ]

A new PCV valve does not hurt either seeing as though they are a service replacement item [ just not big sellers] I usually shove in a T piece from the rear vent below the PCV and feed the other end of the T from the clean air side of the air filter box.

I also love to use VN Commode style air filter cases and filters coz readily available, cheap filters, fit neater in behind left headlight - even more room with LED ADR 46 in :D. The air box is easily plated up if hole in wrong spot, easy to cut new exit holes and rack boots make great flexible air duct between fixed air box and slightly moving engine

Once all worked out and happy, I usually upgrade the heater hose to more oil resistant hose.

Has your tank purge line plans got a solenoid in them ?

Think you find purge lines hok up to any 4mm? vac line at throttle body, and when you think about it 4mm bit tiny for what we might imagine for hot old Australia ?

On the SPFI system there's a purge control solenoid. I hadn't thought about what's on the EA81 system atm. Might have to look into that one.

Air box: I've got a VL unit somewhere - or was going to us a classic range rover cylindrical air filter. Either will be more than good enough for what I want to do :D

I just need to find both of them then workout which one best suits my application.

I'm looking forward to having this sorted in the next month or so between work :D

Cheers

Bennie

Thanks Dave!

Those pics are tops!

With the second pic I don't have those metal vacuum hose lines. But I should be able to sort something out as these hoses will be different on the ea81 charcoal canister.

And I'll have to look closer into the EGR pipe in my parts ea81 to see how close it is and check out my later model ea81 that uses the cast plates on the exhaust between the head and the Y pipe. I might be able to swap it over to the other side and make up an appropriate pipe to fit. Or drill the head (not wanting to) or blank off the EGR valve contraption.

Time will tell. Thanks again for the pics! I'll be downloading them when I'm on the computer for sure!

Cheers

Bennie

The metal lines are mostly just holding things in place in stead of using floppy hoses all over.

The egr pipe uses the same flare like fitting on both ends. Yeah, on an older model I vaguely remeber a 2 bolt flange on one end. Blocking or deleting the egr doesn't make a big difference in how it runs, at least in my experience. The fsm has good sketches of how all that vacuum stuff connects.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any State side member willing to help me out with acquiring a couple of those toilet bowl O rings and shipping them to Oz?

My O ring gasket has expanded and I doubt I'll manage to get it refitted without pinching it or it leaking.

I don't know what they were thinking when they made all these funky O rings on the EA82... Me Fuji must've learnt as I've not seen any like these on the EJs, just your traditional style O ring.

If you can help out pls PM me.

Regards

Bennie

Sorry I missed this topic, don't get much free time but to peruse the forum but I have a running spfi and a pile of parts. I can send you pics and possibly parts if you haven't got all you need yet