Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New (Used) Factory Radio for 2012 Legacy?

Greetings All!

I'm looking for some basic information on purchasing and installing an OEM radio for my beloved 2012 Subaru Legacy.

Quick set-up - My (even more beloved) son decided to inserted ~$3.00 worth of quarters into the CD player slot of my existing radio. This resulted in the unit shorting out and becoming completely unusable. I took it to the dealership for the diagnosis and they quoted be $800 for a new radio. The original unit was nothing fancy, just a CD player and the ability to do an MP3 plug-in. 

However, I can find the same radio (used) on Ebay for ~$100. I'm fairly certain I can purchase and install the used version, but I have a few questions:

1) Is installing the radio (i.e. the whole head unit) as easy as removing the plastic facing, plugging in the wires, screwing in the unit, and replacing the facing? Is there any videos or manuals that would help me with the process (the old radio is already out so no removal necessary)?

2) What should I be on the lookout for when purchasing a replacement on Ebay? I know to make sure that the serial/product number matches with my old unit. I have also read about some kind of process for getting the unit "unlocked" by supplying the VIN number associated with the used product to dealer. Can someone provide me some more clarity on that process?

Thanks!

first, here's a chance for an upgrade - check www.crutchfield.com

second, this Forum and www.subaruoutback.com have classified ad sections. post a WTB (want to buy) and maybe someone has a unit they pulled-out when they upgraded, or, they can pick one up from a wreck, etc.

you might also check www.car-part.com for a used unit

• Like 1

stupkabe,

If your old 2012 radio didn't have a lock code requirement, a used one for the same year won't either, if its from the USA.

You should have no problem finding the same unit in a wrecking yard somewhere close to home. I'd sure try there first.