Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 GLF Coupe windshield help needed

Hello all, some of you may know by now that I recently acquired a 1982 GLF Coupe and the more I tear into it and do my homework, the more I realize that this Sube is a bit of an oddball and finding certain parts is tricky. Last week I had to remove the windshield and so now I am trying to find a replacement gasket so I can reinstall said windshield when the time comes. Now my problem; I cannot find the gasket PN 765061030 anywhere, (like any where in the whole world), and I have been searching for many many days.  I understand this Coupe is a different part number than the sedan, wagon, Brat, so on but does anyone really know just HOW different it is? Then I got started on the possibility of using a gen 1coupe (up to 1979) gasket. Does anyone know if that would be possible? I'm also looking at one online thats for a GFT 1800 Coupe, its an AUS model, but looking at pictures online it seems like those models overlap the model years of the 2nd gen Leones in the US. I really just don't know. I talked with several local glass shops here in OK City and no one said they would attempt to float it in with urethane or try universal gaskets, etc etc. Any leads or help you folks could offer would be great. If anyone has one high up on a shelf in the attic they could part with, I've got a small retirement fund I would trade for one of these at this point.  :P Thanks,

If your original gasket is still in good shape, you can reuse it. If you hit it with a glycerine wipedown, it'll help keep it nice and soft.

Also, as far as I know, the 2nd Gen BRAT and EA81 Coupe were essentially the same car from the A pillar forward. So a BRAT gasket or windshield should be the same.

Twitch

I've been looking into using one for a BRAT and would be really nice if I could. I believe there might be some differences in the chrome trim they used (Coupe is wider) but I bet I could work around that. Unfortunately my gasket sat in the Oklahoma sun for 36 years and was so dry it basically shattered into hundreds of pieces when it came out. 

Following, I'll need a gasket at some point.  Maybe its time to start a group buy for coupe-specific front/rear/side window seals.

Not a bad idea at all. I see there was a thread on that very possibility a few years ago but it kind of went to die. Any idea who we would do that through/ who can manufacture them?

Not positive but I was under the impression that the Sedan/Wagon/Brats were one windshield, and Coupe was another.

1982 FSM lists the following dimensions

Windshield heigth, measured at center:  Wagon et al= 654, Coupe = 659

Windsheild height measured at 1/4 way across (center line of drivers seat)  Wagon et al= 656, coupe= 655

So it's seems like it's about the same exact size, just a different shape to the curve along the top  edge.  

It's so close that a gasket for one might work for the other, however issues could be if the corners are a bit off place....

hope that info is helpful.

There are gaskets from an Australian seller that work perfectly. I bought a pair from him almost two years ago when I bought my hardtop. Phil's Rotary/New old car parts is the eBay page name. If you look search my posts from summer of '16 you'll find what you're looking for.

There are gaskets from an Australian seller that work perfectly. I bought a pair from him almost two years ago when I bought my hardtop. Phil's Rotary/New old car parts is the eBay page name. If you look search my posts from summer of '16 you'll find what you're looking for.

Thank you, I was just in contact with him yesterday and they are sending out the front and rear window gaskets in a day or two. They are the ones marketed for the 1800 GFT. I'll be happy when this ordeal is over. Now to fix the engine...

• Like 1

Tylertrend, did you have to call them over the phone, or were they happy to work with you via email?  What are the specific part numbers you ordered?

Thanks!

I communicated with them through email, first on eBay, then their company sales email. No problem at all, just paid the invoice now so all in about 3 days. 86Bratman is right on with the OEM part numbers. I bought the front and rear gasket, plus shipping to the US was a total of $188 USD. Not too bad IMO. 

• Like 1