Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 GLF Coupe resto and cleanup

tylertrend

Looking and sounding good mate. It’s a big project you’ve undertaken. Remember the end goal!

and keep up the good work!

Thise chrome trim pieces in the windscreen/windshield rubbers - I’ve found them to be much easier to install with the rubber on the glass prior to fitting the glass to the vehicle ;)

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Thise chrome trim pieces in the windscreen/windshield rubbers - I’ve found them to be much easier to install with the rubber on the glass prior to fitting the glass to the vehicle.

I'll have to keep that in mind when I replace the rubbers on my coupe...

8 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Looking and sounding good mate. It’s a big project you’ve undertaken. Remember the end goal!

and keep up the good work!

Thise chrome trim pieces in the windscreen/windshield rubbers - I’ve found them to be much easier to install with the rubber on the glass prior to fitting the glass to the vehicle ;)

Cheers 

Bennie

I had tried doing that on the windshield and just couldn't get it to work. Much agreed that it would make it much easier. 

• 3 months later...

New update, I just got done moving to a new place across town and I brought the car over to her new home last night. First time I have driven the car ever outside of the driveway. The ride was less than comfortable on my back because I still don't have my seats done, so a stack of old sheets had to suffice. I was very impressed with the ride, the shifting, and the power (props to me for knowing carburetors well and timing engines by feel :lol:). The tires look like they were made in the last millenia and are not perfectly round but that's little stuff, and I'm hoping they get better with use. And the tires are supported by freshly painted wheels, complete with OE trim rings and center caps. They turned out great for a weekend job, I used my auto guns with a Nason primer and base/clear system. As soon as the seats are done along with some other interior tid bits, she'll be cruisin' around town regularly. Other recent work has included fitting the rear window trim, exterior trim, full brake job, axle, a replacement front hub and the like. More to come, Stay tuned 

IMG_7757.JPG

IMG_7759.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Finished repairing the trim behind the steering wheel. The plastic was breaking apart so I built it back up with epoxy where it was disintegrating, shaped it and painted it. The paint is a Rustoleum Classic Navy blue which is close enough the the blue interiors to be acceptable. The making of the new seats is underway also. 

IMG_7941.jpeg

IMG_7943.jpeg

Edited by tylertrend
Fixed Pictures
  • Thanks 1

Had to pull the engine from the car last week to take care of some bad oil leaks and found water in the oil system which prompted a full teardown to the short block. Best I could tell the water was a result of: 1) Condensation from running cold, 2) Trash left in the engine from last time I had it apart in passages I couldn't clean. It's all back together now and on the road and looks good so far. I also got a larger main jet for my carburetor (from a 103 to 112) and it runs much better, virtually eliminating the mid range flat spot. We'll see how it holds up going forward. Also added some Dynamat to the trunk area/wheel wells and it helps a little. The cabin will be loud as long as most of the interior is missing. 

Edited by tylertrend
Grammar
  • Like 1

So today was a rough day. I was in involved in a 4 car collision on the freeway, luckily being the last of the string to rear end the one in front of them. The Coupe sustained damage to the front trim, core support, fender, hood, rad etc but luckily the frame looks largely unharmed. It is sitting at the shop where I work part time and we are assessing the damage to see about how or if we can repair it. At this point all I can say is I will do everything to keep it from turning into your next bud light can but this process will take time. The causation of the accident was not my fault, I just ended up being the last one involved and didn't act quick enough to save it (was not distracted or road raging. I truly do enjoy driving this car, it's easy to drive and has a lot of character, but this was a huge blow mentally and somewhat physically. That big 'ol steering wheel leaves a little to be desired when it comes to crash safety but I walked away so, eh.  

IMG_8288.JPG

IMG_8293.JPG

IMG_8300.JPG

Edited by tylertrend

• 2 weeks later...

Hard luck, I hope you are OK.

Its a gutting feeling to see your wrecked car when you put so much work into it. I feel for you, especially as it was not your fault.

I recently destroyed my beautiful Legacy, after putting many many hours into it over the summer. It was totally my fault, and no-one or nothing else was hurt. 

I hope you can get back on the road soon.

Thanks everyone for your supportive comments. I am in the process of ordering parts to get her fixed up! Got the hood open and the fender apron is very easily repairable. I have ordered a crank pulley, headlamp assembly and a NEW core support (Don't ask, I don't want to wear out my god powers). Just need to make a trip to get my radiator and fender. The shop figures 1-2 days to pull it all straight, cut out the old and weld in the new. Plan on it being roadworthy the end of January.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mitchy said:

Hard luck, I hope you are OK.

Its a gutting feeling to see your wrecked car when you put so much work into it. I feel for you, especially as it was not your fault.

I recently destroyed my beautiful Legacy, after putting many many hours into it over the summer. It was totally my fault, and no-one or nothing else was hurt. 

I hope you can get back on the road soon.

I wrecked my Legacy 3.5 years ago of my own accord.. and inappropriate tires for snow, and it just got fixed this summer. I am not going to accept that kind of timetable on this project. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not bad for a couple days work. I am putting everything back on the front end tomorrow and it'll be back prowling the streets sometime next week. We were all surprised and impressed by how well the structure held up, and whatever degree of energy absorption engineering is there did its job well. I feel lucky that no major frame rails were acutely bent or mashed, as that probably would have been the end of the road. Time to throw all this ugly business to the past and get back to enjoying my.., erm, classy ride. 

IMG_8349.thumb.jpeg.2728e1ae75b9acb99a87f2db2ad345bc.jpeg

IMG_8353.jpeg

IMG_8369.jpeg

IMG_8371.jpeg

Edited by tylertrend

Amazing comeback!

i’m really stoked for you and your coupe, so much work going into it. It’ll be better than ever, no doubt.

Looking at the post-crash pics, I suppose you were a bit nose-dived when you hit the high bumper of the suv, so really the hood and upper front panel took the impact, and not the chassis rails.

I‘m now wondering if it wouldn’t be a great idea to fix the smashed Legacy.....

3 hours ago, Mitchy said:

Amazing comeback!

i’m really stoked for you and your coupe, so much work going into it. It’ll be better than ever, no doubt.

Looking at the post-crash pics, I suppose you were a bit nose-dived when you hit the high bumper of the suv, so really the hood and upper front panel took the impact, and not the chassis rails.

I‘m now wondering if it wouldn’t be a great idea to fix the smashed Legacy.....

It was quite nose low on impact and my bumper just BARELY slid under theirs. Those Subie bumpers are surprisingly heavy duty and a good hit to one would bring that frame rail to its knees, is my guess. It wont be the prettiest thing around for a while, but at least it's still around. Where did your Legacy take damage?

The Legacy got a high speed grazing blow on the rear RH quarter panel. 
The lower suspension arms got bent, but I straightened them a little and the car drives fine (not on the road of course).

The filler cap area is destroyed, boot / trunk still closes...

pic with the rear arms “straightened”:

2BB62D1C-C887-4F92-88DD-B5B6E1B3EC64.jpeg.5d4dff5ddf28729f9354d2e33241c770.jpeg

Edited by Mitchy

21 hours ago, Mitchy said:

The Legacy got a high speed grazing blow on the rear RH quarter panel. 
The lower suspension arms got bent, but I straightened them a little and the car drives fine (not on the road of course).

The filler cap area is destroyed, boot / trunk still closes...

pic with the rear arms “straightened”:

2BB62D1C-C887-4F92-88DD-B5B6E1B3EC64.jpeg.5d4dff5ddf28729f9354d2e33241c770.jpeg

Ouch, that is pretty knackered. My Legacy took a grazing to the same area but only pushed in the panel around the wheel arch, didn't mess with the door, dogleg, lights, suspension etc. That looks like a big undertaking. Sorry to see that happened, it's never fun.

Well chaps, she is all done! Got the rest of everything put on today and drove it home. Drives just like it did before.. straight, true and zippy. The fender I painted with a rattle can of Rustoleum white satin. It's at least white but I will try to get something a bit closer to dust it with in the future. Also painted the black on the headlight surrounds while they were off. Time to finally try to get through this whole tank of fuel and figure out my MPGs. 

In case anyone might be wondering, we estimate the hit velocity somewhere in the upper teens, in MPH. The full parts list is:

• Core support
  • Fender
  • Headlamp assembly
  • Crank pulley
  • Radiator
  • Battery
  • Rad Fan (I had)
  • Headlight surround (I had)
  • Grille (I had)
  • Straightened the existing hood

Total parts bill was shy of $500. Shop estimated $2-4k if someone had just brought it in wanting it fixed. Good thing I had plenty of time to put into it! I elected not to replace any A/C parts as I see that as a *maybe* project down the road. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5116.thumb.jpg.1e0284704d60edd8dc4d74abf76f3f40.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5117.thumb.jpg.a33581847e1273a8ccf1836abb49ed6e.jpg

• Like 2