Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 GLF Coupe resto and cleanup

tylertrend

Quite a bit but not quite enough, I guess. At this point it's all just kind of pedantic conversation as the details become more fuzzy. Some data for a more technical review:

Motortrend road test when new, got that model to stop in 120 ish feet from 55 mph with a professional driver. 

The vehicle is 168 inches total length or 14 feet. That is a stopping distance of 8.5 car lengths at 55mph. I was doing 63 and saw the incident in front of me as soon as it happened. 

If you figure 140-150 feet to stop from 65mph (typical highway speed in US), if you're equipment is in good condition, that's 10.5 - 11 car lengths in dry weather. 

When you factor in reaction time and other variables, the situation can change even less in your favor. The fact that I only cut my finger on the radio knob and had a sore nose from the steering wheel, and my shops opinion on impact speed, indicates I got down to about 15 or so mph. You may be wondering why I didn't just swerve and avoid. Partly because I would have gone left, as there were cars to the right, and there was a concrete barrier wall just off the left lane on this highway and sudden maneuvers at speed could have resulted in a rollover or more severe impact with a solid object (which would have ended very poorly for me). So I took the sure way out. I wish it could have played out differently but presently both me and my vehicle are fully functional, so I can sleep well at night knowing that. I should add also, in case I haven't already that I could only see the vehicle directly in front of me and when he rear ended the stopped car in front of him, he came to a flat dead stop. Not a situation you really expect on a light traffic highway in the middle of the day. He was in a 4 year old vehicle with all the latest gizmos so I'm not exactly sure what his excuse is...

Original crash testing done at 30mph. Cool video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7geNTvZcRQY&t=97s

Just some food for thought for anyone driving around in these old rigs. 

Edited by tylertrend
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...