Ultimate Subaru Message Board

after market radiator

Anyone with a suggestion on an after market radiator for a non-turbo 93 loyale?  I put a hole in mine pulling my engine, ugh.  Anyway, as I look at the pictures for radiators they say direct fit but the screw holes for ac fan and fan shroud don't look like they line up.  Thanks for any help!

A radiator shop could maybe repair yours if it’s in ye metal portion of the radiator. But at this age they’re good to replace.

You can’t seem to get what you want at stores? Did you look online eBay amazon - I usually check a couple and see what the difference might be.

Maybe look up a 1988 loyal and it won’t get confused with legacy EJ stuff.

Post a link and maybe folks can comment.

• 1 month later...

time to vent... bought a apdi 8019305 radiator, suppose to be an exact fit.  Went to install and couldn't get the top bolt holes to line up.  Radiator sat about a 1/4 inch too high.  Finally, after many hours was able to get it installed, then went to install the a/c fan and fan shroud and the damn threads don't match the original.  What a pita!

You shouldn't have to chase threads on a brand new part though...

Happens all the time - because Americans want cheap parts. Funny how we never have to do that on Japanese parts. 

Thing is - it was probably just paint in the holes. And if you can't handle chasing some threads you probably shouldn't be doing your own repairs. 

Still not a sign of quality though.

I've gone almost exclusively to having the older brass/copper radiators repaired or re-cored. Heater cores too. If you have an original quality part like that it will pay in the long run to have it repaired. Also keeps your money local and pays a real craftsman for a valuable skill.

GD

• Like 3

I've gone almost exclusively to having the older brass/copper radiators repaired or re-cored. Heater cores too. If you have an original quality part like that it will pay in the long run to have it repaired. Also keeps your money local and pays a real craftsman for a valuable skill.

GD

could not agree more, $10-$15 repair overhere from someone i know,

i avoid the plastic/metal radiators at all costs, destined to fail.