Ultimate Subaru Message Board

it is a round track asphalt race car. I'm having a 3000 race grind from delta cams, one over sti valves, and porting pretty heavy. just not sure if i will need a tune or not. i just don't want it to go to lean and bust something. and i also have the year wrong, its an 2003

Edited by Tireman28

There is no way to tune the 2003. Which means its entirely possible (likely I would say) that it will be much too lean at WOT. Too much air, and not enough fuel because the stock mapping (which ignores the O2 feedback at WOT) will not have enough fuel or the correct timing for those modifications. 

GD

There is no way to tune the 2003. Which means its entirely possible (likely I would say) that it will be much too lean at WOT. Too much air, and not enough fuel because the stock mapping (which ignores the O2 feedback at WOT) will not have enough fuel or the correct timing for those modifications. 

GD

I'm, obviously, no Subaru computer expert but I noticed you mentioned the BRZ above. So my thought here is - could he swap in a BRZ ECU onto his car and tune from there? 

No. The BRZ is a direct injection engine with coil-on-plug ignition, 8 injectors, dual variable valve timing, etc. The crank sensor triggers are different and it has 4 cam sensors, not 1. Also the tuning for them is primarily based around adding forced induction, not tuning NA.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

How do I delete the rev limiter?

You have to swap not only the ECU, but all it's wiring plugs - mapping each wire from the old harness to the new harness. Then you need to either buy an Access Port ($600) and pay for the Cobb training/license for their tuning software ($150) or buy a Tactrix cable and flash adapter ($200) then learn to tune it with open source software such as ECUScan, or Rom Raider.

Or you can do the ESL swap for $750 shipped from the UK plus a computer (93 to 96 WRX) and not have to do any real wiring. Just move a single ground wire. 

GD

• Like 1