Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 Brat Transmission Swap

I have an 85 Brat with the 3AT. I also have an 89 GL parts car with a 5 speed D/R. I want to put the 5 speed into the brat but, I have to get rid of the GL by this weekend, so i wanna pull the transmission and other stuff I need. My question is what do I need to pull from the car for the swap?  If the list is somewhere on here just post the link. If not please help! 

This can depend on a couple of ways these conversions are done.

Based on my conversions

does the console from donor stop and then have a separate radio console? EA82 had two styles. I got lucky and got the separate console type and used this in the EA81 body. This way absolutely no cutting or mods are needed of the selectors.

I use an EA82 clutch pedal on EA81 pedal box, cut the pivot off EA81 pedal box and mount the EA82 clutch cable to the EA81 pedal box side.

grab flywheel back to rear diff underside.

Some adapt the EA82 gearbox crossmemeber and mounts so grab them. I don't . I adapt EA81 4MT gearbox brackets and mounts on EA81 gearbox xmem.

With the wiring for various switches on gearbox donor, find the connectors and cut wires a few inches closer to body loom so you still have connectors when in BRAT

I'd also grab the EA82 engine if its any good :)

Edited by jono

I do have the separate center console and I already took that out. I'm probably just going to take as much as possible and use what I need and junk what I don't need. It actually has two ea82 engines one in the bay and another in the back. I'm guessing they were going to replace??

I do have the separate center console and I already took that out. I'm probably just going to take as much as possible and use what I need and junk what I don't need. It actually has two ea82 engines one in the bay and another in the back. I'm guessing they were going to replace??

• Like 1

I remember many years ago, riding around with a good spare EA82 in the back of my wagon.

One time when I went to the mall, I remembered while inside that I had forgotten to lock the hatch. 

I ran back out to my car as fast as I could, but it was too late...

Someone had already piled two more in on top of it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1