Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brat rear axles

Thanks.  That is what I thought but the EA81's are harder to find. Find new ones for EA82 but haven't seen any for EA81.

EA82 rear axle CV cups and joints can be fitted to EA81 shafts.

that's how I rehab my EA81 axles.

90-94 Legacy rear axle inner cups will work as well.

this is good to know, I need to replace the inner cups that came off of my rx when I stripped it out. it appears that they sat in water when in storage and got pretty nasty looking. and of course, it was the only part I was trying to reuse from that axle. I am going with wrx suspension and hubs on my brat, with the drive line from the rx, so I was looking at playing mix and match with the axles to get everything to work together. thought I might be in trouble since I couldn't find rear axles for sale anywhere...

this is good to know, I need to replace the inner cups that came off of my rx when I stripped it out. it appears that they sat in water when in storage and got pretty nasty looking. and of course, it was the only part I was trying to reuse from that axle. I am going with wrx suspension and hubs on my brat, with the drive line from the rx, so I was looking at playing mix and match with the axles to get everything to work together. thought I might be in trouble since I couldn't find rear axles for sale anywhere...

EA82 axles will not mate up to WRX rear hubs.  Wrong width.  Wrong outer end hook up.

EA82 axles will not mate up to WRX rear hubs.  Wrong width.  Wrong outer end hook up.

Thats why i said that the only part i was trying to reuse was the inner cups. i already have the rest of what i need for the conversion, but the inner cups i have from my rx are rusted. i can probably get by with them until i can find another set, but i dont want to have them on there any longer than i have to.

Thats why i said that the only part i was trying to reuse was the inner cups. i already have the rest of what i need for the conversion, but the inner cups i have from my rx are rusted. i can probably get by with them until i can find another set, but i dont want to have them on there any longer than i have to.

They won't fit ont eh WRX axles.  The splines on the 95+ stuff is different.

Just use a WRX rear diff (or any 95+ r160) and the entire WRX axles if that is what you are planning.  No need to use RX cups

• Like 1

Are the axles bad or just the boots? A dozen or so years ago i pulled mine because the boots looked like they were about dry rotted. Cleaned them, greased them, rebooted them and swapped them from left to right. Almost a quarter of a million miles and they are still good.