Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Don't Adjust Valve Clearance" sticker. Should I anyway?

Then don’t adjust them.

Some EA81s come with hydraulic adjusters that don’t need adjusting.

Although we can guess you have an EA81 with hydraulic adjusters you should probably tell what vehicle you have and how positive you are it’s the original engine.

If the engine may have been swapped at some point then it could be different and the sticker no longer applies.

If there’s a problem you’re trying to adjust then discuss the specific symptoms and issues.

It is an EA81, not the original engine. There are bent pieces of metal to prevent the set nut on the valve adjustment bolt from being moved. I messed with #1 valves, and #3 valves. I don't know how to un-mess them. edit: bad decision, I know. I had the valve cover off, and the spirit of "why not" took over. Thanks for the help, though, 2 and 4 will remain untouched. mkoch

Edited by mkoch

We’re you adjusting for a reason, or issue?

Is it still running properly after your adjustment?

Get the FSM for EA81s and look at the valve adjustment procedure. Search? I’m guessing it’s been done before?

Edited by idosubaru

How much did you adjust them? Yeah that probably wasnt the best idea. Did you adjust them in or out? did you follow any adjustment procedure at all, or did you just start turning the nut? 

I followed the adjustment procedure in "Keep Your Subaru Alive" , bent the retaining clip, loosened the lock nut, the turned the square ended bolt. 3 I adjusted "in" , one, I adjusted "out"   

It was very, very difficult to adjust to specific measurement,  0.010" was tight, 0.012" was a bit tighter 0.014" was tighter, but could still be wedged in. 

We’re you adjusting for a reason, or issue?

Is it still running properly after your adjustment?

Get the FSM for EA81s and look at the valve adjustment procedure. Search? I’m guessing it’s been done before?

No issue.  

Well, the engine was out (it still is out), and it was easy, plus my had not yet reached my daily quota of "stupid".  

Also, the "Keep Your Subaru Alive!" book told me to do it.  Ya gotta do what the book says. 

If it had the locking tabs, then it is a hydraulic lifter engine. The procedure in your book is for solid lifters.

I honestly can't remember what the procedure is for hydraulics, but you can turn the adjuster in till it just makes contact, and then go one more turn.

That will at least get you close until you do more research. That is, if you need to drive it.

a rule of thumb for any hydraulic lifters of these kind at least is to adjust {if you must!!} the adjusters until you feel the adjustment grab on the push rod.

Like the Subaru manual i will tell you after the event described. You should be twiddling the pushrod between fingers and then when you feel it grab, back off 90 degrees.

This is or has been a good rule of thumb to get the engine going from cold - gives you time to find the factory instructions.

Given the years and chances of tinkering, someone may have also fitted up hydraulic rocker shafts and lifters to a solid set up ??