Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cyl 3 & 4 misfire - new NGK plugswires - how to diagnosis if it's the coil, igniter, knock, timing?

helped a friend get a 1998 legacy EJ22 a few months ago that was running fine before today. 

New NGK plugs, wires and timing belt and it's throwing cylinder 3 and 4 misfires today in the rain and was driving poorly around town. 

How do I differentiate if it's the coil pack, Igniter, or Knock sensor?

I'll dig around my parts stash for swap/testing but my 90's stuff is thin, i was about to throw it all away recently. 

3 and 4 share one side of the coil, and one side of the igniter. You can check resistance on the coil - it's just like any old distributor coil - there's just two in there. Usually they have between a 10,000:1 and 15,000:1 Ohm ratio between primary and secondary coils. 

If that checks out and there's no corrosion in the plug wires or terminals then you can pretty much rule it out. 

You can then use a scope to check the signal from the ECU to the igniter, and to check for power and ground. If those check out then the igniter is bad. Otherwise it's possible for the ECU driver circuit to fail also. Just had an ECU failure of the igniter driver on a 98 Forester. It happens. 

GD

• Like 1