Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wanted: center wheel caps for mid 80's Subaru GL steelie rims

Hey guys,

I've been trying to find some of the center wheel caps like shown in this picture, anyone got any they can part with?

They don't have to have the Subaru logo emblem on them, just the cap itself......with no dents. I'm going to repaint them anyway. Thanks.

The earlier version had a indented design (BRAT's, etc.), I want the smooth all the way around ones like as shown.

Gary

post-67178-0-30509200-1524234915_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to pass along this information...

I got a email yesterday from the following website saying they have a bunch of these caps, and they are $12 a piece (not including shipping).

Just in case anyone else out there wants a set, fyi.

www.mttechsuba.com

$12 each, plus shipping? Holy crap!!

• 9 months later...

So I ended up getting 10 of the covers awhile back, refinished them and they look great. But.......

I cant find any original nylon rings in good shape to install them. I tried a couple 3D printed ones, but they dont hold up long. I'm going to take my best one, refurbish it best I can, and remold it.

I'll make my own out of solid plastic.....see if that works. The good thing is at least I'll be able to paint them.

Edited by Checkerboard Comet

Those plastic rings were still available from dealers , although you may have to ask your dealer to go thru a western distributor. 

Edit: Just noticed you are out west so you should be able to score , and thanks to Dave you have the part number. Enjoy! 

Edited by moosens
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info guys, but it appears that part number has been discontinued. I did order those exact ones too awhile back as well, but Subaru changed them enough to not work. The inner width was changed to be shorter for some unknown reason.

No big deal, I'll make new ones. I'll post some pics once I do, likely this week.

• 3 weeks later...

Damn dude. I checked this too late. I already drove the 300 miles back home. Next time I’m up in SW Washington, I’ll try to remember to get back to you. Should be soon. I should have two sets, if I do, you got them for shipping costs. I only want to hang on to a set to make the brat a classic. There’s the coffee can. 

9BA1CE65-CF52-4DAC-ACC9-12397ADB2332.jpeg

I have those same white rings, but they didn't work.......too narrow. The original ones had a wider opening that slipped over the rim itself.

Here's a couple pics of my new one I replicated, and I painted it to give it more durability from the elements. I used my best original ring, fixed it up cosmetically, and molded it.........this is the result.

I also picked up these replica center cap covers to match mom's blue 85 Subaru wagon. I'll post pics once it's all installed. Mom wont let me touch the rims themselves though, just clean them up is all.

ring 1.jpg

ring 2.jpg

20190314_083030.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I FINALLY got mine installed......and they look as I had hoped. Mom's car will be next, and my new epoxy rings work great! I am extremely pleased with the overall results. Nothing too fancy, but work as intended. I even used silicone underneath to help keep them on.

15137.jpeg

15138.jpeg