Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Early 90s 2.2 turbo transmission

Automatic or 5-speed?? What difference(s) are you referring to? Interchange /Swappability or internal workings?

No offense to GD, but I put an Automatic turbo trans  in my '90 NON-turbo and ran fine before and after I swapped in the turbo engine. You may want to source a TCM / TCU (trans computer) from a turbo, too, but that's not a deal-breaker.

All '91-'94 Automatics and 5-speeds EJ22T /  turbo transmissions - '91-'94 Sport Sedan and '92'-'94 Touring Wagon - were  3.9 Final drive ratio.

If yours is an AUTOMATIC  w/the EJ22e (non-turbo) '90-'91 or '95-'99(?) it's a 4.11 FD ratio.

Tangent: Rumor is the SVX transmission is the same as the turbo w/a different FD ratio...but most SVX transmissions are trashed by now.

Edited by wtdash
  • Like 1

Completely different and not compatible. 

GD

sorry but no.

There are some internal differences, but very small.  They are essentially the same trans and will run fine as long as you swap the TCU as well and match final drive.

Used Non-turbo trans in a turbo (swapped to 4.11), and used turbo 3.9 trans in a non-turbo legacy sedan with no issues.