Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlight Configurations

Hello again. I have had a question buzzing around my head ever since I bought my 91 Loyale. It has the single headlight configuration (one headlight per side of the vehicle). My 89 DL or GL had dual headlights (2 seals beam glass headlights per side of the vehicle like my profile pic). My question is: can I retrofit a single headlight configuration to the dual light configuration? I like the way the dual light configuration looks and I'd like to swap it. Unfortunately I don't have the 89 to look at. Is it just a bracket I need to buy and swap or is this just a crazy idea? Thanks in advance.

That was on 85 to 89 DL models only. Will be extremely hard to find.

GD

only ever seen 1 quad EA82, years ago, i studied it pretty good though, you need the corner lights, the buckets for the quads, probably should grab the quads too since they aren't cheap, the grille is attached to the underside of the quads themselves for some reason.

be aware though, those corner lights are extremely rare to find these days, already hard to find regulars ones for single big beam ones which are fatter, and i think the amber part of them on the side change over the years too.

although i will agree, they look so much better with the boxy look of the EA82, best of luck finding some!

only ever seen 1 quad EA82, years ago, i studied it pretty good though, you need the corner lights, the buckets for the quads, probably should grab the quads too since they aren't cheap, the grille is attached to the underside of the quads themselves for some reason.

be aware though, those corner lights are extremely rare to find these days, already hard to find regulars ones for single big beam ones which are fatter, and i think the amber part of them on the side change over the years too.

although i will agree, they look so much better with the boxy look of the EA82, best of luck finding some!

Thanks. I can actualy still find the glass sealed beams here at the Big Blue Store with a smiley face. I wish I knew where my old mechanic took my DL. I had to give it up to pay him off for another project car. ☹. But this was back in 2013 or 14. So very little hope of it being around still.

I just picked up an 89 DL with the quad headlights a few weeks ago. I can go snap a few pictures for if you like.

That would be awesome! Unless you wanted to swap. ????. Jk jk. I'll pm you my number. Maybe I can fab something up.

I too like the quad headlight look and have thought about it for my 87 wagon, but subaru parts are pretty rare where I live and the few DLs that I see are usually running and not going to give up their lights. 

I wonder how hard it would be to buy the bulbs and make a custom bucket, I've never seen a factory one but if I did I'm sure I could copy it to some extent given the chance.

It's been years since I've seen a DL. 

I had a 1978 with 4 round headlights, and modified the lighting - Put 4 quartz halogen H4 Hi / Lo lamps on it.  Made a custom harness and relay box and control ppanel on the dash.  I could set it to look and function normally, or a number of other additional combinations -

Either pair of low beams, dual = quad low beams.  high beams with lows on also, and all filaments energized, which was 55W*4=220W and 60W*4=240W for a total of 460Watts of light out front.  Along with a pair of 55W fog lights.

I also had externally mounted heavy duty rectifiers for the alternator, because of course the internal ones died. 

This was all back before I was a homeowner, and had more time to play with mods.  I've thought about doing the 4 square DL system on my Loyales, but the list of projects is so long.  It would be easier to make LEDs anyway, and I wouldn't need a bigger alternator.

Edited by DaveT
  • Like 1

Guys, miracles do happen! A lady that lives down the road from my parents has a broken down DL with quads, and she is letting me buy them! Along with the fenders (95% rust free) and all the A.C. components for $100. The only catch is that I have to attach my old fenders and headlights to her wagon so that it doesn't look like a junk car sitting in her yard.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...