Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheel spin

I was in a buggy a friend had made from an old Brumby/Brat that had been shortened by a foot or so and a home-made body fitted, anyway I discovered if you're getting a front wheel spinning (on muddy ground ) you're going nowhere, other wheels just sit there, what do you guys do to prevent this?

Otherwise it makes a mockery of four-wheel drive. 

I'd be making sure it's actually in 4wd.

If one front wheel is spinning, at least one rear wheel will spin too when in 4wd.

Make sure nothing is broken - shifter linkage for 4wd, tail shaft, driveshaft or that the rear hub(s) haven't chewed out the splines on the stub axles. If these rotate when stationary they're dead.

If the check out I'd be looking at the 4wd mechanism inside the gearbox.

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

With conventional differentials used in the rear that were not limited slip, slightly applying the emergency/parking brake would stimulate the use of the inactive axle. That seeming should apply with the front Subie axle. The problem being no rear wheel being active is likely a linkage problem for the rear axle activation and just what el_freddo posted. Best of luck.

I was in a buggy a friend had made from an old Brumby/Brat that had been shortened by a foot or so and a home-made body fitted, anyway I discovered if you're getting a front wheel spinning (on muddy ground ) you're going nowhere, other wheels just sit there, what do you guys do to prevent this?

Otherwise it makes a mockery of four-wheel drive. 

Learn about differentials.

Also any chance this rig had a "fulltime" 4wd box and the center diff as not locked?

When you can answer that question, you will have learned enough to understand.

I'd be making sure it's actually in 4wd.

If one front wheel is spinning, at least one rear wheel will spin too when in 4wd.

Make sure nothing is broken - shifter linkage for 4wd, tail shaft, driveshaft or that the rear hub(s) haven't chewed out the splines on the stub axles. If these rotate when stationary they're dead.

If the check out I'd be looking at the 4wd mechanism inside the gearbox.

Cheers

Bennie

Ha, I never checked that!

I just stood on the left side of the buggy and saw the left front wheel was spinning but no movement of the left rear wheel and the buggy wasn't going anywhere!

Until I suggested pulling the handbrake on a bit - THEN it moved!