Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 1/2 GL Turbo 3-door hatchback

JiggsCasey

Hey there,

Posting my 86 Subaru 3-door. I'm the second owner, bought it in 1998 from the original owner. If I remember correctly, she brought it to WA from Florida.

It's sitting on 242k miles, and has been an everyday driver, the only major engine repairs being the headgaskets per usual, and a clutch just after I bought it.  

Here it is last year. post-61868-0-35672800-1524951478_thumb.jpg

The paint isn't original, I swiped a post about 8 years ago and had to replace the passenger quarter panel, so I had it painted to match the original color. Beyond that it's all stock.

Unfortunately, it was hit and run a week ago, so the front driver's side quarter panel is gone, along with the wheel & suspension. I've decided to go ahead and repair it, so hopefully I'll get to post pics of the car running in the future. Anyhoo, that's my baby. It's driven coast to coast without a hitch, best car I've ever had. 

• Like 2

Mate, my ultimate Subaru to own!! But we didn't get them down here :(

Another mate is selling one but it's bad timing for me atm :(

One of three known units in Oz too!!

Keep her alive, she looks real sweet in the dark red/maroon!

Drivetrain specs? SPFI/turbo AWD??

All the best with the repairs. Dog act!

Cheers

Bennie

Same color as my 87!  Pics of the damage?

Really? I've only seen a couple other maroon cars like mine ever. I've seen a couple white RX 3-doors, but the last maroon one I came across about four years ago, and it was the first one in ages.

Pics of damage attached. The insurance company called it totalled, but the claims adjuster turned out to be an old car buff and maxed the value (how lucky is that?), so I should come off with more than enough for repairs. 

Quarter panels aren't a problem, but the struts & shocks & a matching wheel might be. I found a matching car in a salvage yard through Row52.com, but it was bought just hours before I got to the yard.

post-61868-0-53964700-1525109525_thumb.jpg

post-61868-0-33420600-1525109532_thumb.jpeg

post-61868-0-54810000-1525109542_thumb.jpeg

Edited by JiggsCasey

Mate, my ultimate Subaru to own!! But we didn't get them down here :(

Another mate is selling one but it's bad timing for me atm :(

One of three known units in Oz too!!

Keep her alive, she looks real sweet in the dark red/maroon!

Drivetrain specs? SPFI/turbo AWD??

All the best with the repairs. Dog act!

Cheers

Bennie

That's so funny, I had always heard there were more of them in Australia than here! lol.

Turbo, on/off hi-lo 4WD. Honestly I have just driven her and not really paid attention to the specs. I bought this car specifically for snow driving as I had a 62 Falcon at the time that wasn't exactly a mountain car (understatement of the year). I did my own work on the Falcon and could cite info on that (at the time, it's been 20 years now), but the Subaru I let a local Subaru only mechanic deal with, he's been solid, honest, and kept it running tip-top for all the years I've had it. To be honest, I thought it was an RX for ages until I found out they only come in white & black. My shop thinks someone bought a GL and ordered every possible RX option they could get on it. 

Now that you've roused my curiosity, I'm going to ask for the specs next time I talk to them. Hmmmmmm....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...