Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch Cable Length?

MUST buy clutch cables from the dealer. Aftermarket cables don't work (for long) on Subaru's. Unfortunate but that's the reality.

GD

Subaru dealers should have these? I won't run into the "Subaru doesn't make those for cars that old anymore and we can't get any for your car." I tried to get a lower main seal from them this week and that is what I ran into.

Edited by Subarule

I just ordered one for an 84. They have clutch cables. No worries. Call Lithia Subaru in Oregon City, OR. Talk to Matt. I doubt the rear main seal is discontinued. I buy parts like that all the time. Rear main part number is 806776011.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I did locate a main seal. I had to call several places around town before locating one. Napa had it. It got installed along with the LUK flywheel and the Exedy/Daikin clutch kit.

My local Subaru dealer is lousy for parts on old Subes even tho' several other parts places have what I'm looking for. I should know better than to even try with them.

Thanks for the source on the clutch cable. What will they need to know specifically about my car in order to match up a cable?

If GD says get the parts from somebody, I would listen. I had an aftermarket clutch cable, simple advice, don't do it! I'm ordering a new clutch and throttle cable this weekend. Hey GD do you happen to have a throttle cable part number? To all Subaru owners, I believe we need to all kick GD $5 for a part number list ????

Seriously though - I don't appreciate my recommendation to call my parts guy at the dealer being used to get part numbers and lengths in order to try to order some aftermarket crap that WILL NOT WORK. Just call Matt and order the flippin cable for $35!! You have got to be kidding me - that's soooo cheap.

GD

GD, I didn't mean any offense, I will definitely use your parts guy and buy genuine from him. I'm finding almost all aftermarket for other ea82 is not worth anything. That's why I say if you say recommend, use it!

GD, I didn't mean any offense, I will definitely use your parts guy and buy genuine from him. I'm finding almost all aftermarket for other ea82 is not worth anything. That's why I say if you say recommend, use it!

Sorry. Not you. The OP called him today and wasted his time asking questions about length, etc. Obviously trying to get part numbers and match up some aftermarket junk to save a buck. Had to call back a second time to confirm the part number. Seriously he's a VERY busy guy. Works at least in part on commission. I buy TENS OF THOUSANDS of $ from his department. I asked him for a favor to help the OP. We aren't doing this for fun ya know.

GD

Excuse me but I AM going to order from the guy & place you recommended! I never had any intention of doing otherwise. And SHAME ON YOU for assuming something that is so totally wrong.

He called me back on my cell after I'd left my # for him while he was at lunch. I was in my car,pulled over, with traffic going by while I was trying to write down the details he was giving me. I wanted the part # so when I ordered from Lithia I could tell them what it was I was after when I had the money to place the order. I lost the scrap of paper I wrote it on. That's why I called him back later to get the part #.

Again,SHAME ON YOU for ASSuming I am a deadbeat and trying to get away with something underhanded. You are very insulting.

It sounded like you were looking to get the part number and length to take that information elsewhere. That's what he and I both assumed. You should make it clear that you WILL call back to place the order.

For future reference they can make an order quote under your name so you don't need any part numbers. This is so you can order multiple items and they don't have to look it up twice (which is extremely time consuming on older cars due to cataloging).

Also the length really isn't important. He will get you the right part. Whether it matches the length of the old one or not is inconsequential - it will be the right part. Sometimes part numbers get superseded and dimensions change.

GD

Assumptions are the natural result of a lack of specificity. I wasn't party to the conversations that apparently both concluded in the ASSumption on your part that he understood you would call back, and the ASSumption on his part that you likely wouldn't.

I'm neither the first, nor the last to assume anything here. Finger pointing aside, I'm not the apologetic type. The facts and the actions speak for themselves. Consider the chain of assumptions and whom was trying to help whom here. I'm last on that last and also have no skin in the game either way. If my help is not appreciated - lots of luck gentlemen.

GD

It's the oddest thing...I was going to order my clutch cable from Lithia Subaru online, and the order form is asking for a part #, along with the VIN

Precise person that I am, I always try to have a part number for any specific item I need, no matter what the item may be. I keep lists of things I need to buy with all the pertinent info ready. Only I seem to have caused a meltdown by asking for the part number.

Btw, I never gave any indication of when I was going to place the order. Someone made another assumption. I make a budget for every month and work in the extras when I can. Just because I like to get my ducks in a row shouldn't generate a lot of erroneous assumptions on the part of anyone.