Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Forester Recommended Maintenance

Hello all. I usually am over in the Old Gens, but given recent circumstances, I am having to retire my old Blue 84' wagon. Standing in as its replacement is a 2005 Subaru Forester auto transmission with 125,000 miles on it. it has the 2.5, which has had regular oil changes. (the car is a gift from an elderly couple who keeps their cars in good shape). 

According to their mechanic, the timing belt will need to be changed soon, but other than that, I am planning the following as a tune up: Spark plugs & wires (NGK), rad cap, OEM thermostat, new coolant, service the battery, change transmission fluid and filter, fuel filter, and air filter. Is there anything specific to this engine/transmission that I should hit with my tune up? I know they are known for HG issues... how worried should I be about that since they have never been done?

Any other maintenance recommendations to help make this car a reliable daily?

HG's need to be done. They are leaking externally. That's a fact. I don't even have to look.

Needs a new radiator and hoses if it hasn't been done. Plastic. Rubber. Fail.

Timing belt is WAY overdue. 105k or 10 years whichever comes first. Could break anytime. Change immediately.

GD

• Like 1

HG's need to be done. They are leaking externally. That's a fact. I don't even have to look.

Needs a new radiator and hoses if it hasn't been done. Plastic. Rubber. Fail.

Timing belt is WAY overdue. 105k or 10 years whichever comes first. Could break anytime. Change immediately.

GD

Dang okay. Looks like im gonna be pullin the engine. I'm guessing OEM only on HG correct? FelPro no good? As far as new radiator, found one on rockauto by  a company called TYC. For timing belts I am looking at AirTex. Think they will work or is there a specific brand for radiators or timing belts for these cars? sorry for the rookie questions

Edited by Sapper 157

1.  New timing belt and pulleys from Subaru or Aisin

2.  Ignition tune up and fluids like you said

3.  Add front diff fluid

Fuel filter is pointless to replace. Around 2005 they moved the filter to the tank, so if that's yours you can't just easily swap it in the engine bay like older ones. But it doesn't matter, it's pointless as Subaru filters dont' clog unless you have some massive catastrophic causative issue.  I have 285,000 on my daily driver and 200k on gobs of subaru's with original fuel filters, yaaaawn, never gonna matter.  If the filters are getting clogged then you better pull your entire pump and replace the pump due to the pre-filter, sock/screen. 

Inspect the headgaskets first. 

I bought a 2005 for a friend, she drove it for years and I sold it for her this year.  Always dry as a bone, nothing but plugs, wires, and timing belt.

• Like 1

1.  New timing belt and pulleys from Subaru or Aisin

2.  Ignition tune up and fluids like you said

3.  Add front diff fluid

Fuel filter is pointless to replace. Around 2005 they moved the filter to the tank, so if that's yours you can't just easily swap it in the engine bay like older ones. But it doesn't matter, it's pointless as Subaru filters dont' clog unless you have some massive catastrophic causative issue.  I have 285,000 on my daily driver and 200k on gobs of subaru's with original fuel filters, yaaaawn, never gonna matter.  If the filters are getting clogged then you better pull your entire pump and replace the pump due to the pre-filter, sock/screen. 

Inspect the headgaskets first. 

I bought a 2005 for a friend, she drove it for years and I sold it for her this year.  Always dry as a bone, nothing but plugs, wires, and timing belt.

Ah okay then. I didnt realize that about the fuel filter. I wont be able to get to the car until late june so that doesnt help. Ill add changing the diff fluid as well. 

Found this Aisin kit on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aisin-TKF001-Engine-Timing-Belt-Kit-With-Water-Pump/112960719404?epid=227929600&hash=item1a4cfbca2c:g:W6gAAOSwzJ5XZs6c&vxp=mtr

Product bulletin: http://www.aisinaftermarket.com/uploads/68y84rq7_TKF-001_TIMING_BELT_KIT.10-07-11.pdf

In the PB above it says its for a manual trans only... is that correct or will it work fine for an auto trans? Also I found the HGs you were talking about GD. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. 

Edited by Sapper 157

Need to check your water pump. Some of those Foresters have a weird front facing nipple for the oil cooler. We generally just delete the oil coolers and opt for synthetic oil instead. Even the 08+ WRX's came without oil coolers stock so it seems like overkill for an NA forester. They also leak and the hoses go soft from oil contamination.

You can use that kit if you dont have the nipple or if you delete the associated cooler.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

Need to check your water pump. Some of those Foresters have a weird front facing nipple for the oil cooler. We generally just delete the oil coolers and opt for synthetic oil instead. Even the 08+ WRX's came without oil coolers stock so it seems like overkill for an NA forester. They also leak and the hoses go soft from oil contamination.

You can use that kit if you dont have the nipple or if you delete the associated cooler.

GD

Sweet Ill look into that once when I have the car in front of me. 

Yeah ill probably hold on to the oil cooler for now. Definetly gonna do HGs... ive heard and seen too many friend's 2.5s failing. 

I do have what may be another "newbie" question... would this bearing set work for my cars timing? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Idler-Bearings-Tensioner-Kit-911-82005-Forester-2-5L-SOHC-99-05/272667954248?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D50544%26meid%3D4d5fe1d256484fd697d58cbaf78e66e6%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D302313888648%26itm%3D272667954248&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

It says only for manual trans but i know these internet vehicle part match things are not always accurate. Would this kit work with the 4EAT forester? 

Edited by Sapper 157

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 1:23 AM, GeneralDisorder said:

Denso or Koyo for radiator.

Aisin for water pump. Mitsuboshi belt, NSK/NTN/Koyo idlers. NTN tensioner.

Dealer HG. Order the gasket for a 2008 STI. Part number ending in 770. All other gaskets from Subaru.

GD

Need to make this a sticky so GD doesn't have to keep reposting this info

• Like 1

On 6/2/2018 at 9:51 AM, Sapper 157 said:

Any particular reason to use the 2008 sti HG (p/n 11044AA770instead of the actual HG for the 2005 Forester (p/n 11044AA642)?

642's are turbo gaskets from 04 to 07 models. They will work fine also. They are not the gasket for a 2005 Forester NA. Is this a turbo model? If it is, those gaskets don't usually fail. 

GD

• 3 weeks later...

Should I remove and clean the fuel injectors as long as I have the intake mani removed?

Also, tips/guidance for removing the engine without accidentally pulling out torque converter with it are much appreciated. I have read it is a nightmare to deal with, and would like to avoid it. 

If you really want to make the engine last you may want to consider changing the oil pump, at least take the back plate off and inspect it.  Subaru put smaller oil pumps on these engines for some reason and it is a weak spot.

GD would be a good source for this, but if I recall correctly a 10 or 11mm pump is a good upgrade.