Ultimate Subaru Message Board

78 brat flywheel pilot bearing problem

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, but this is the second flywheel bearing that has gone bad on my 78 Brat.  The first one came with the clutch set and it only lasted a few weeks before it started making noise.  The next on I got from the dealer hoping it would last longer. I drove it about 10 miles and it is making noise.  I pulled the engine last night and that bearing cage is off and there is grease on the clutch plate.  Any ideas on how to keep this from happening?

Thanks 

pilot bearing i think is what you are talking about? when tapping it in the flywheel, are you tapping on the outside edges with a socket? how are you installing the pilot bearing? i've messed one up before by accidentally tapping on the inner of the bearing, went to feel it with my finger and bearings already had flatspots, had to replace it, also, see if its a Made In Japan bearing, those are closer to OEM than anything else, theres Chinese and Japanese bearings with those kits, can't remember the brands at the moment.

also dealer still has 40 year old parts??

Your correct its the pilot bearing.  I installed it using a socket on the outside edges.  I assume that its made in japan because its a OEM subaru part but I will check when I get home.  I don't think the bearing is a 40 year old part I think that part is still used on some of there late modle cars.  Subaru part # 806212030.

Thanks

oh, i was reffering to the other clutch kit parts, also when matching the transmission/bell housing to the engine, is the transmission shaft going in correctly with little struggle? im thinking you just had bad luck with the bearing at the end of the day.

Yea I thing you a right.  Matching the engine to the bell housing was more than a little struggle.  I have done this before on other cars with no problems, so I assume this bearing needs more TLC.  I'll try it again this weekend and be more gentle.

Thanks for the in put.

Radiator is out and I lifted the tranny up till the axel touched the steering assy.  I will try using more grease and have a jack under the engine this time.

Thanks