Ultimate Subaru Message Board

model ident.

I bought a turbo 1987 4-door sedan. Vin jf2ac56b5hgz18182. Is this a rx? a gl? subaru of america says the vin is invalid. Having trouble tracking down parts and  service interval info. It has 130000 miles and has no service record. Did it need a 100000 service? any info would be great.

My guess is GL, just going by the year. Don't know about RXs.

Timing beltsand idlers every 50 to 60k to be safe.

All several cooling system hoses are overdue. Plastic radiator overdue.

Pretty likely a full reseal from the headgaskets up by this age and miles.

Id go with gl10, from what i remember, 87 and up, the rx was the coupe. maintenance should be the same, either way. though. pick up a haynes or chiltons manual for the car and it should have everything you need to know as far as the basics go.

as for timing belts, i seem to recall they had a short life span, something like 50k or so, like DaveT said. i also recommend changing cam and crank oil seals with the belts, they liked to leak in my rx back when i still had it.

Id go with gl10, from what i remember, 87 and up, the rx was the coupe. maintenance should be the same, either way. though. pick up a haynes or chiltons manual for the car and it should have everything you need to know as far as the basics go.

as for timing belts, i seem to recall they had a short life span, something like 50k or so, like DaveT said. i also recommend changing cam and crank oil seals with the belts, they liked to leak in my rx back when i still had it.

GL-10 was the turbo version of the GL.

NO.  GL-10 was the high trim level.  DigiDash, Sunroof, Cruise control, "plush" seating.

There were GL-10s that were not turbo, however most of them were.

85 GL-10 non-turbo = Carbed

86 GL-10 non-turbo = SPFI

87+ GL-10 Non-tubro = MPFI non-turbo.

There were also Turbo cars that were neither GL-10 nor RX.  I think this might be what the poster has.

So, Shadetree, does your car have Single range trans, sunroof and digidash?  If it does, it's a GL-10.  

Does it have Dual range trans, and checkerboard seats and door panels?  if so it's an RX.

If it has an Automatic, and regular one color seats.....it's likely just a Turbo GL.

I did know it was the upper trim package, but did not know it didn't mean the turbo was included in that package. Stash that away for future reference. Thanks! I've also never seen or heard of a 4 door RX. Did they make one?

85 and 86 all RX were 4 door sedans.  sometime in the 87 model they went to the 3 door.

It's possible that the poster here's car is one of the last of the RX 4-doors, made in early 87......or it could be an oddball GL w/ turbo......since you could order them that way.