Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale ea82 reoccurring timing issue

So here it is guys hopefully someone can help cuz I'm out of ideas. I bought 3 Subaru Loyale's (1 wagon with locked motor and good 5 speed and 2 sedans good motor and trans in one and no motor and good trans in the other ) im tryna get the one with good motor and trans running. I've seen and heard it run a year ago. Ive taken the belts off and redone it 6 times now. It just doesn't sound right. Every time I've gone threw the timing process I've followed it step by step by watching the miles fox video on you tube. After I've put the belts on put the a/c pump and alternator and v belts on and try and start it. When cranking over it makes a chug sound and backfires every rotation. I know I'm either an idiot and forgetting super stupid or their actually might be something else broken. I've replaced timing belts on At least 15 to 20 mid to late 80's GL's and early 90's Loyales so i dont know why the hell its giving me so many problems. Can someone please give me step by step instructions on

Timing belt procedure

Ignition timing and. When to drop the disty.

Pleased help me. My patience is running thin and don't know what else to do...

• Like 1

You did belts before successfuly, so you know the one full rotation of the crank before installing the second belt, or the trick with one cam 180 degrees off the marks...

Any chance a coupl plug wires are swapped?

• 3 weeks later...

Please twll me there is some truth in this. So buddy of mine introduced me to a guy who knows everything and anything about Subarus as far as the older loyals and gl's go and he said that it sounds like I'm doing the timing right but there were two different models of distributors that were used in the GL and loyals and that I could have put the wrong one in since the car didn't come with the distributor and I had to take one off of a wagon and put it in the sedan could that be possible and if so what are the names of the distributor models going crazy without a car so someone please say this is true and a possibility

Please twll me there is some truth in this. So buddy of mine introduced me to a guy who knows everything and anything about Subarus as far as the older loyals and gl's go and he said that it sounds like I'm doing the timing right but there were two different models of distributors that were used in the GL and loyals and that I could have put the wrong one in since the car didn't come with the distributor and I had to take one off of a wagon and put it in the sedan could that be possible and if so what are the names of the distributor models going crazy without a car so someone please say this is true and a possibility

I recall hearing something about two different dizzys, but that's it. lol Someone else here will know the difference between the two. Also, if the dizzy gear roll pin is sheared, the timing will be off and it will move on you while trying to set timing to add insult to injury. lol

Different dizzy's shouldn't make a difference so long as the replacement dizzy didn't come from an injected engine. The wiring will be the same from carb to carb dizzies, that's the important part.

Given that you've got backfiring, your dizzy is wired in properly. It could be the order of the spark leads, timing is too far out (talking a tooth or two out).

Definitely check the dizzy for shaft play. You should be able to at least get it running with a bit of shaft play. Running on the road won't be as good as it should be, but you'll notice that if it is an issue.

Cheers

Bennie