Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hydraulic lash adjuster falls out

Ok, replacing head gasket so I have head removed from engine.  If I turn the head upside down one lash adjuster will fall out.  The others I can't even pull out (Not sure how I would get those other 3 out if I wanted to).  Is it ok for the lash adjuster to be such a loose fit?

Ugh, worse off than I originally thought.  Thought only one was bad, not 7 out of 8.  Damn.

Is this something that is an easy fix for a dyi'er?  Looks like those lifter buckets are pressed in?  Any tips on getting the old HLA's out if they are stuck.  My only thought was to use pliers to pull them out but would probably mar em up pretty good.

As far as I know there is no way to repair this. Everyone just runs them and crosses their fingers or looks for different heads. Parts are becoming impossible for the EA's. Can't buy an oil pump for the 82 and oil pumps are one thing that should be replaced ideally about every 150k on the EA platform. They handle unfiltered engine oil and are aluminum so they don't last forever. Unfortunately the lack of parts, both new and used, is rapidly reducing the EA chassis to a non-viable platform for everyone but the collectors with lots of parts or the ability to not really drive them.

GD

• Like 1

I have never tried it but I have heard hot tank the heads with the lifters in. Usually results in lifters needing rebuilt (mizpah) but keeps those pressed in holders in place without damaging them. $28 for lifters is better than 8 million trips to yards looking for heads, pulling them off and still having the same issue

Thanks for the replies!  Gonna think a little about this one.   Actually lifter tick wasn't too bad before I took it apart.  Would hear it at first start up and then it would go away after a few minutes.  Maybe after oil pump re-seal and the new o-ring in cam tower it will be better.  Crossing fingers anyway.

what is the issue with the heads/HLA's?  the bores they sit in get warn?  the circumference of the bore or the bottom?

if the ticking wasn't atrocious nor your original motivation for this job i wouldn't worry terribly much about it.  i've seen countless stuck in the heads for 20 years and never worried about them.  i've just left them in place plenty of times.  of course i try to address them if needed or depending on the vehicle condition, etc, but i've ignored plenty too without issue.  

• Like 1

I have removed some. Use vice grips with scraps of aluminum or copper to protect the sides of the lifter. Use a thin pry bar to work between the vice grip jaws and another piece of metal or wood to protect the head. A burr forms on the edge of the bucket that traps the lifter, right under the spring clip.

My experience with the tick, is the reseal fixes it. Never had to really bother with the lifters. It may ocasionally occur on startup then fade away.

Not sure if makes any difference, I run Amsoil synthetic 10w40 in my good engines. I had one basket case engine a while back, that I ran on waste oil, what ever cheap oil, etc. I found. It didn't tick either.

• Like 1