Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2004 outback with a 2.5 I just bought, DEQ time. I had to reset an egr code so when I went to go through DEQ it did not pass, "not ready". Which means you must go through several driving cycles, including over 55 mph trips, at which point the egr code pops up again. Not cool when you have 7 days left on your second and final trip permit for the year. Upon inspection, i found the EGR tube at the bottom had been cut and crimped. Okay, buy a new egr tube and hook it back up, right? For the life of me, I cannot find where the bottom goes, nor have manuals or utube been any help. The only spot I see on the head is the plug for the coolant, and a  aprox 10mm dia. x 25mm deep blind hole right beneath it. Did someone swap out a head? non egr?  Help me , please.  here is pic of tube to nowhere, egr valve and back of head

post-71300-0-44405300-1525809898_thumb.jpg

post-71300-0-24864500-1525809927_thumb.jpg

post-71300-0-94722900-1525809942_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Someone swapped a non-EGR engine into the car and didn't have the ability or knowledge to drill/tap the EGR port in the cylinder head. 

We can do this for you if you want to pull the head or engine. I'm not sure about doing it in the car - the large EGR tube on those models requires a very large drill and tap and a fairly powerful drill to operate the bit and I doubt it would fit with the engine in place. This should have been done long before installation. 

It may be possible to re-route the tube to another exhaust source, or on the older models the system will accept a pre-throttle intake source and the computer will be OK with it. But on one that new I'm not entirely sure a non-exhaust source will work without causing additional codes. It certainly won't be correct that way and may cause some part throttle cruise issues with fuel mixture control and timing if you give it non-exhaust (air with unburned oxygen content).

We are very close to you - down on McLoughlin Blvd in Milwaukie.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 2

Fellow Oregonian here, got any family in a different county?

You can also buy used plates with tags on them and transfer the plate to your car to buy some more time to sort out the problem. Unfortunately, that is a hard one to work around without major surgery.

Edited by Hamsamsquanch
  • Like 1

Thank you very much, my brain was having overheating issues. At least now I have it nailed down and can concentrate on the how, and not the why. Even though it was a swapped head as I feared, basically worst case scenario, I know what I have to do, drill a hole in a perfectly good exhaust system for an exhaust gas source, plumb it to manifold without ANY leaks without blowing my ecm with a tig welder, no problem :(.     HMMM Some cats have extra o2 sensor holes, maybe I will get lucky and find one.

Yeah, I'd definitely pull the engine and drill the head before bothering with welding a bung into the exhaust. It's really only a daunting task the first time you do it.

Drilling the hole isn't that bad either, you just have to get the location right.

Edited by Hamsamsquanch
  • Like 1

I pulled the y header off, tig welded a 3/8 flare fitting on it and on the end of cut off pipe ( first time using my tig welder and I didn't screw it up, a new era has begun) and put an appliance natural gas line on it, one of those stiff yet flexible stainless ones. It snaked through there just fine and stayed where I put it. Just knowing for sure what the situation was made all the difference, Thank you again, SSI gets a stellar yelp review. Now for three road trips, and the dreaded DEQ. 

• 3 weeks later...

I passed DEQ ! Now I need to know if I can disconnect it again( till next time) without it causing any performance issues, my firebird was impossible to disable, made it run like crap if you blocked it off. Oh ya, flexible stainless line rattles like mad, must be dealt with, that stuff is like a spring.

Edited by LEOD

You have an EGR system fully working now, right? If so, get a piece of tube and never look back. Engine should run as it's supposed to. Otherwise, you might get hesitation, rough idle, CEL, noises, etc..

Also, nothing worse than remembering a couple days before your tags are due something needs "fixed" and now you have to plan accordingly.