Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for '78 Brat brakes

I have searched high and low but can't find a distributor of brake drums and rotors. Im not usually a forum kind of person but this problem has driven me to this. Every time I order them from a site, they get back to me saying they are on back order or out of stock. I would even take used ones if they fit and were not rusty. please reply with any leads you might have. Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

The part numbers are:

122-47003

121-47000

• Like 1

Would the drums be usable (in spec.) if they were turned?

The shoes on my 76 and 78 4wd wagons were the same overall size and shape as those on my 86 GL through 93 Loyale. There were some differences in holes as the newer cars had auto adjusters. Might be worth taking a look at a pair of those if you are having trouble finding shoes for 78.

i screwed up one of the front rotors 3 years ago by accidentally placing a brake pad backwards in the brake caliper, made a nice groove on the disk from the nipple present on the brake pad.

took forever to find a rotor, everywhere i looked, the part is not available, finally found one on ebay 7 months later, a used one, but in better condition than my current one, $80 for just one rotor.

sold the 79 wagon due to the fact that it was working flawlessly and i was worried that the next part that would break would doom it for more months to come.

im actually currently deciding if to sell my 80 Brat or not due to the lack of parts, its my dream vehicle, but who knows how long i can keep it on the road. to reduce the wear on it, i stopped driving it daily and now i only drive it on saturdays and thats it, pretty depressing...

The shoes on my 76 and 78 4wd wagons were the same overall size and shape as those on my 86 GL through 93 Loyale. There were some differences in holes as the newer cars had auto adjusters. Might be worth taking a look at a pair of those if you are having trouble finding shoes for 78.

i never had problems finding rear drum shoes on my EA71's, autozone and oreilly's were able to order them for you a year ago with a 1 day wait time for me, maybe because they are infact the same as EA81's?

now the front brake pads are somewhat getting hard to find, rock auto is the only one i know of that still has them available.

Edited by Subasaurus

No they are a bit too rusty.  

Can anyone confirm that the EA81's are the same size? My plan is daily this car so I want to get it moving down the road soon.