Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 96 impreza ob and noticed the other day that the motor mounts were covered in oil from when the cam seals were leaking. I put a new timing belt,cam seals etc about a year ago. It's not leaking now but it seems like the motor mounts are a little soft. I think the engine moves a little more than it should when I put it in gear.

I was wondering if motor mounts out of a 08 outback would fit. My buddy has a set of like brand new motor mounts out of a 08 outback. They are a totally different design being round but it looks like they should fit. Any thoughts? Are they a better design than the older ones? Thanks

They should fit and work. But they might not be 'right'. Never really thought about it but the round style vs square style just might be interchangeable. You would need to check the installed height and the angle but it just might work. There is no real reason to though except for reuse if you have them like you do

The one exception to that is the later EJ's with the cast aluminium upper oil pan and the COP ignition.... right before they introduced the FB. Those actually don't have mounts in that locations at all - they use wings on the side of the trans, and a pitch mount on the front radiator core support.

GD

Thanks for the info. I was considering getting the group-n mounts but they were around $150 until I got these ones for free. Free is good I can save up to get the group-n down the road. I figure if they're gel filled they will leak eventually. I had a couple older GM's that had fluid filled mounts that leaked. I'm just glad the outback mounts will fit.