Ultimate Subaru Message Board

08 Outback, replace driver door jam, light switch

My 08 Outback has a broken driver door jam, light switch assembly. The switch itself is good, but the plastic housing and rubber weather boot is missing. I went to a yard to get a replacement, but could not figure out how to remove the switch assembly without breaking it. The plastic housing spring clips into the door opening slot. Is it removable, or is it one time use only? I am thinking one time use only, with a replacement unit from a dealer to fix the problem. Can anyone help me?? Thanx!

Rooster2,

Many items are a one time mounting on modern cars, with no thought given to replacement and removal. My advice would be to visit the wrecker's yard once more, and accept that there are 4 of these switches on the car. Pull one out and study it to see how it could be removed without doing any damage to it. That leaves you 3 more attempts at getting it right.

If after this exercise you can't get one off without breaking it ... bite the bullet and get a new one from the dealer.

Gene

• Like 1

I've bought one from worldpac (oem part) a year or so ago. I think it was like 10-15 dollars.

Kind of expensive for such a small part. But in the grand scheme of things it's not much so you don't have to deal with a day or two at a junk yard.

Rooster2,

Many items are a one time mounting on modern cars, with no thought given to replacement and removal. My advice would be to visit the wrecker's yard once more, and accept that there are 4 of these switches on the car. Pull one out and study it to see how it could be removed without doing any damage to it. That leaves you 3 more attempts at getting it right.

If after this exercise you can't get one off without breaking it ... bite the bullet and get a new one from the dealer.

Gene

Gene,

I did exactly as you suggested. I tried pulling a switch out, but finally broke it out, because I could not see any way to pull it out without breaking it. You have confirmed what I suspected. The part is a one time use only. Only way to fix the problem is with a new one.

golucky,

Thanks for your report that one can be had for $10-$15. I appreciate that. I will contact worldpac.