Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spider screaming out for twins..

It's gonna work. It's not gonna work....

Back and forth,back and forth, but everytime I actually play with the bits, grab another component it keeps looking like it will work

Petrol carburettor s donated primary/secondary throttle bodies. Using primaries should E!iminate rich bog down and maybe get enough flow to encourage secondaries to come on board

Looks like the throttle shafts will link with a custom rod straight between them with a central cable pull. Even some tapped bosses on the spider base to locate cable outer bracket

A larger vacuum port for a balance tube to connect brake booster to

I am going to have to remove the port dividers in the base to open it up so the primary can feed both pots as required.

Also looks like the dizzy side will just clear the back of the alternator

Next step is to design and make adaptor plates between top of spider base and throttle bodies.

Likely recessed counter sunk m8 bolts to spider base and plant studs in adaptor to hold top stuff together

Think some craftwood concepts first will be better idea

• 4 weeks later...

Think this not going to work so need to find synchronised throttle bodies. The WW Stromberg is a contender. I don't want to mess with the spiders casting.

Gannon ! WooHoo ! Hardly anyone has been on ausubaru ! Facebook is for the goldfish :(

My silver RX turbo. Gone back to EA82T,  wolf3d ecu, distributor delete (wasted spark coil pack) and an intercooler of some sort. Ive also swapped some bits between gearboxes  to run EJ dual range gearset with viscous centre diff in the EA casing

Once I get it driving I will do a better flowing up-pipe, TD04 and cam regrind to make it a bit more rev happy

• Like 1

I want to try plenum delete and run similar to Safari style - one fuel metering device above each head , even if it does look a bit VW...ish 

I always thought my EA81 with twins sounded like a twin carb Kombi up close.

Gannon only gone back to EA82 for race class?

Sell my spider ?? Think I promised you first option if the event arose .. injector holes bunged up with 10 mm Welch plugs, was a mess to begin with....

Back to the EA82T for a couple of reasons....

1. Club rego with original engine

2. I wanted to do something different, I have a few things to try on the old EA.

3. I'll probably crash or loose my license with an EJ20

Im running my EA82T on the EJ20G loom via a EJ20G plug in Wolf3d (which I'll configure to run an EA82T) so if I ever need to go back to an EJ, I just pull the engine and drop in another EJ20G and plug in a standard WRX ecu and drive it

• Like 1

^ THAT is mint!!

So the wolf is plugged into the Ej20G loom? Nice.

Jono, I'd make the runners from the heads to the mixers longer, the theory is short runner = power in the high rev range, long runner = torque down low. Find where you want them to be is the trick. 

This is apparently why the old safari set up on the VWs directly above the heads made them gutless down low but pick up with a number of revs. 

Cheers

Bennie