Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leaking (non-factory installed?) roof rack - don't see how to remove/access it?

1998 Legacy wagon I picked up from Adventure Subaru on here. The rack isn't flush with the roof and i think it may be an OBW rack that was added later. The front drivers side drips on the driver when it's raining and I can't tell how it's installed. Do I have to remove all the interior fabric on the ceiling to get to the bolt for it? And then once I do - how are these things sealed from the outside?

Edited by idosubaru

Yes, the bolts protrude downwards through the roof, with nuts located behind the roof-liner.

Sometimes just tightening the nuts will fix a leak.

Otherwise, use some silicone-seal around the mounting holes before reassembling the bolts and nuts.

Search on this forum for how to remove the roof-liner. It's somewhat time consuming...

Edited by forester2002s

Thanks Gloyale - they're all off symmetrically so that makes sense.

I got the front corner headliner pulled down and see a pin point of light next to the one hole under the headliner.

So i think i can seal this up easily - from the inside and up top i'll use some RTV as well.

It looks like some type of fastener was slathered with some thick/nearly rock hard black goop, it's covering everything under there so i can't tell what kind of fasteners are used.

Edited by idosubaru