Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is this?

so when i bought this 1980 Brat, there was a bunch of stuff in the bed and inside of it, most of it trash, but the pouch sort of stood out due to the quality and water resistant materials they're made of? theres 2 pouches, i thought they were for the original tools like the wooden screw driver and such but the pouches aren't symmetrical and too small for such things.. and theres two.

and this chunk of plastic that has the Fuji Heavy Industries logo on it, and i still can't figure out where these go after many months later.

kb2max.jpg

2cf5ai8.jpg

The large plastic cover is part of a “winterize” kit. Basically a shield for the carb to keep it warm and comfy.

I have NOS packet kits with that shield and several hoses etc that go with it. As I get to them I’ll try to post a pic somehow.

• Like 1

The large plastic cover is part of a “winterize” kit. Basically a shield for the carb to keep it warm and comfy.

I have NOS packet kits with that shield and several hoses etc that go with it. As I get to them I’ll try to post a pic somehow.

Surprised they would be made of plastic. But good call.

Oh wow, wasn’t expecting that fast of a response, thanks a lot you guys! Finally I know where these things go, although having a Webber and being in Texas, I doubt I need the carburetor shield warmer but I’m glad I didn’t throw it away! :)

And seat belt covers would have been nice 40years ago before they seized up, they’re just sort of decoration now, gotta take them apart and see what seized in there.

This was also in the back of the pick up with the rest of the junk, is this Subaru related? They look like very small hubcaps, but they don’t say Subaru or a Fuji logo anywhere, and I already had all 4 centercaps on the 8spoke rims, and they look nothing like these.. only got 3 of these.

zwx4bn.jpg

Edited by Subasaurus

Early 70’s hubcaps.

I’m guessing the shield was common and warm weather folks discarded them. In fact I’m sure that up here we got the shield.

And the kit I have has that shield plus other hoses to collectively improve warm up during cold weather.

Looks cool with an NGK sticker on it , I remember that much.

• Like 1

Early 70’s hubcaps.

I’m guessing the shield was common and warm weather folks discarded them. In fact I’m sure that up here we got the shield.

And the kit I have has that shield plus other hoses to collectively improve warm up during cold weather.

Looks cool with an NGK sticker on it , I remember that much.

thanks Moosens! i appreciate it :)

Yes rare , but you’ll only get folks gah gah over the pouches if they’re not brittle etc.

The hubcaps are more plentiful than the cars they go onto. But catch the right person at the right time and maybe you’ve got lunch money. No Holy Grail items there.

• Like 1

The "winterize kit" is in relatively good shape.  Meaning it's clean and none of the places I've seen broken or missing,  are broken or missing.  It's been awhile since I've been around EA81s, but I wouldn't discard it just yet.  Don't know the dollar value, but an EA81 owner may want it for his car.  I had one on my '83 wagon, and that shield helped protect the distributor from splashes when I would enter big puddles and WCSS mud pits.   

Try posting in the "for sale" section of this forum.  You may get a couple of bucks for it, and it'll go to a good home.

Just my 2 bucks 

• Like 1

The "winterize kit" is in relatively good shape.  Meaning it's clean and none of the places I've seen broken or missing,  are broken or missing.  It's been awhile since I've been around EA81s, but I wouldn't discard it just yet.  Don't know the dollar value, but an EA81 owner may want it for his car.  I had one on my '83 wagon, and that shield helped protect the distributor from splashes when I would enter big puddles and WCSS mud pits.  

Try posting in the "for sale" section of this forum.  You may get a couple of bucks for it, and it'll go to a good home.

Just my 2 bucks 

im guessing the shield is exactly the same for an EA71 and an EA81?

this one came from the bed of a EA71 Brat, but then again, there were hubcaps that wern't for the wheels of this brat in the bed, or perhaps the brat used to have different rims when it rolled off the dealership?

I’d be entirely content with that Brat. Best of luck with it. You’ve got a real beauty to work with.

Personally , I’d cruise it just like it is for a long time. It’s a rolling timepiece.

Quad light are the balls !! Congrats and enjoy !

Just to assist you in preservation , if that’s ok with you , I’d like to point out that those wheels are curved spokes from the next generation after yours. Flat spokes would be correct.

If yours is a 78 then corner lights and trim around running lights should be black , but don’t sweat that since they all lost their paint over time.

Sorry , I see it’s an 80. So you probably have a GL. Ignore my comment about the black paint. That’s only 78.

Does the steering wheel have two or four spokes?

nono, you are right, black paint on 79 and 80. 1978 would be chrome all the way around with no black paint across where the 2 top screws are, i got these corner lights from Israel including New old stock tail lights too.

4 Spoke steering wheel.

is it possible this brat got generation 2, 8 spoke rims or theres absolutely no way and someone swapped the rims from a EA81?

i absolutely love the quad lights, im with you on that one.

and im perfectly fine with things pointed out that aren't correct on the vehicle or atleast suspicious about them, i would prefer to learn what was suppose to be there so i know what im looking for to complete the vehicle, but ill beat you to 2 of them first, the mirrors are from a 1993 Lincoln Town Car, and the front bumper bumpers are from a 1982 Lincoln Continental.

Look at old brochures. The 78 should be black trim. I know , I own one. And just a couple years ago sold my 79 , which was not black trim.

Not a big deal , just pointing out Incase that’s important to you. Going forward if you even have a Brat that’s good enough. It being correct is a far second.

In 1980 maybe the dealer did put the curved spokes on , that’s possible. They were then issued for the 4WD wagons , but may have been put on Brats to. In general a 78-79 Brat has flat spokes and many of us assume the remainder of that body style should carry flat spokes.

You can always paint it and improve upon it.

But you only get one shot at riding it in original form. You should cherish that opportunity.

Enjoy!

Look at old brochures. The 78 should be black trim. I know , I own one. And just a couple years ago sold my 79 , which was not black trim.

so strange... so your 78 has the black paint trim, my 79 wagon did also, and my 80 brat also has it, well used to have it until i got some parts from the other side of the world for it, that came from a 78, guess they did different things in other parts of the world.

now i gotta find flat spoke rims! better yet, some mags! :)

just gonna ride it as is, unique paint that takes 40 years to achieve.

got one more question, gas tank designs seem to change over the years? my 79 had the key hole to open the tank, but the brat is just a twist knob, would you know anymore details on this?

Edited by Subasaurus

You mean the access door , not the tanks itself. Tanks are the same. The lock was optional. Most are going to have the twist knob.

Keep an eye open. I’m cleaning out storage. Have lots of 70’s parts including 74 Sport Mags and a lot of new old stock small items.

I had the pouches remade by a local upholstery shop. Either way its a great touch when people inevitably start asking questions. Ah I miss my brat.

hey never thought of that! thanks, they are alittle hard, but not brittle yet,  will do when i get the drivers seat reupholstered.