Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shimmy and Shaking now becomes the Woo Woo Woo's

The shimmy and shake story has now evolved into the woo woo woo's.. and this all starts before the ball joint issue came about and after...

Couple things first, I've had this car for about 11yrs started at 151,000 miles and now 900 miles away from joining the 300,000 mile club!!! Whoo!! Hoo!! I never replaced shocks struts, steering rack -kinda looks like it's leaking- and lost a lot of fluid from the resivor which it NEVER had before till the whole shimmy and shaking episode all began. But now seems to be steadily full again... weird... but I have done bearings, CV joints engine cylinder head gaskets, radiator, timing belts water pump tie rod end cheapo got a very slight pull to the left etc... oh yeah and those leaky hoses!! It's this one that is tripping me up, diagnosing the woo,woo,woo's..... of today on the Dawgmobile.

Visual inspection appears normal.. tire pressure, ride height/rake, bearings seems smooth and tight, the usual positive camber angle...made sure to scrubb inside of rim of debris around hub location, wheel weights eVeRyThInG seems normal nothing loose kinda sorta, I gots a couple questions at the end.

Normal operation 0-25mph'ish, no wobbly wheels,no lurching brakes, easy rolls in neutral, a slight clicking when turning midly left then comes the woo woo woo's with a light steering wheel shaking, more notably begins at approximately 25-30mph on up 50 million miles an hour!! Hwy speeds around corners left and right carries and even woooo.. In gear out of gear any gear, 4wd engaged disengaged, brakes applied unapplided, haven't tried reverse don't think it will get to 25mph don't think that's a great idea anyway lol.

Here's how we got to the woo,woo,woo and it's definitely not the usual r-ree r-ree r-ree bearing noise!!

××××××××××÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷××××××××

Shimmy and shake Turkey neck affect ...

Oct,3 2017

Inspection of various components ok..

Front Brakes pretty beat up..

Replaced front rotor and pads> SOLVED

×××××××××××÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷×××××××

Feb, 13 2018

R-ree R-ree R-ree Driver side front rotated rim 1 lug location >Solved? Crazy but it worked! Lol!

Inspection of various components ok... brakes were only done just because of good measure..

Replaced rear drums and shoes> then it snowed

×××××××××÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷×××××××××××

Feb 28th 2018

Shimmy and shake Turkey neck affect again...

Replaced broken lower Front passenger Ball joint> SOLVED

××××××××÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷××××××××

Mar, 15th-20th 2018

THEN the slow approach of the agonizing woo woo woo's as the sound of rain no longer pellets my tin roof...

Put it up and in gear to check rotation of tires.. possible bent rim, one had tire worn badly inside probably from broken ball joint...

Figured maybe i screwed something up in the drums I splooge the outside bearings x4> woo woo woo

Replaced tire with spare full-size tire> woo woo woo

×××××××÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷××××××××

May, 10th 2018

Inspected other 3 tires and some were not severe but closer inspection appeared out of round...

Replaced other 3 tires> woo woo woo

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

So...

The new..

Front rotors/pads and cone

Rear drums/shoes and cone

Ball joint

4 New Tires

So...

The old..

CV Joint axle- whatever ya wanna call it

Bearings

Rims -not jackman but Subaru wheels whatever they are they fit over my calipers unlike my other rims with winter tires that do not now after front brake component replacment ;/ argh >Jackman??

Shocks/Struts whatever ya wanna call it

Busings anywhere and everywhere

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

So I did notice when I pulled the new rotors off to splooge some grease in the outer bearings careful not to get dirt in there when i did the front rotor/pads the first time- I was borrowing someone's driveway and had to hurry- I took off the passenger side the washer impression was not CONCENTRIC to the center of the NEW cone? Don't think that much of a problem.. never seen it before though??

And where the axle meets the output shaft from the transmission not the axle but the stub appears loose and has always been loose as you can grab it and move it around? It don't leak that's a good thing thank Gaudd! but always wondered about how loose is loose?

Always had a popping sound from the passenger side.. sounds like the strut tower body frame in front of the door

I think it's the half shaft and new struts would do some good, but over all what a weird episode..

then again... perhaps the New Ball Joint should be subjective to question because as in my other post as I had a ball joint question it did fit smoothly in the spindle housing but gave no effort of cinching it's self into the lower arm.. It just dropped right in all the way to the shoulder of where the rubber attaches to the balljoint... and i mean on the very very light side of being too big... and the woo,woo,woo's WERE NEVER present even with warped rotors,out of round tires or before the balljoint broke ....Goodtimes

The Dawgmobile

of Portland, Oregon

Edited by Len Dawg

The axel stub on the side of the transmission moves around? That does not sound normal.

I once bought a 1990 4wd wagon. . On the drive home, it was making a rythmic noise. Discovered there was no gear lube on the dipstick. Just black. Threw a quart of motor oil in it, as it was all I had, and got home. Changed it out to synthetic gear lube. Drove it for 11 years. The noise slowly faded. Just mentioned that because maybe that's the sound you are hearing.

That type of noise is typically a bearing failure. Either wheel bearing or possibly differential carrier bearings. The axle joint will move on the splined stub, but the splined stub should be fairly tight in the transmission. They can move a little as they are snap-ring clipped into the spider gear and this is not a hard connection. It can have a little in/out play but shouldn't have much, and very little side play if any. 

GD

You guys are top notch...

Sure hope it's not differential bearings General Disorder!! Then again.. it's got 299,028 mi

I'll be taking it apart next week and put in new bearings and seals. Pretty safe bet to re-use the cone since it's only been compressed 2x.

Drove again last night.. and crossed some new pavement at 25mph and put it into neutral and coasted as long as I could with traffic being involved and can almost feel a choppy sensation as well the woo woo woo starting to fade right front passenger.. but when doing so it's almost a woo,wOo,woo,wOo,woO,wOo..like KISS and Iron Maiden got together for a jam session.

I've been watching that splined stub for years, and when I'm in the wrecking yard I'm doing the touchy feely on other victims to compare they appear relatively the same. I don't mess with it a lot but maybe a couple times every other year. I don't want the magical mishap to happen and it falls out! Because then i really dont know whats I'm doing..Lol!

Edited by Len Dawg

• 3 weeks later...

Well... I'm here to close my thread I'd  suppose. :)

I replaced both half shafts and drivers side wheel bearing still have a slight shimmy accompanied by a minor shake. But no more woo woo woo woo's,  

*:headbang:***General Disorder  is spot on with the bearing the inide  one was showing signs of becoming burnt and blackened.****:headbang:

The stub is a all  good and right as discribed nice and tight. No leaking from the seal either.

Figure the suspension struts and shocks whatever ya wanna call it should be next as I get popping always had popping noises at the top of tower when I accelerate and brake and I'm pretty dammed sure these ones are original to the car that is at 299,665.5 miles

So I be back again to update on that.. :popcorn:

Edited by Len Dawg
Spell check

• 3 months later...

So in the end.. i would say they were definetly original to the car the the factory sticker 92-10?? I got a used set front and rear 126,000 miles and replaced the top hat's. Kinda weird and can't find any info when i turn the wheel while on stands it will full lock to the left but to the right at the end of rotation there is resistance and it will not lock there appears to be nothing stretching cables brake lines i chaulk it up to being maybe the cv joint and I still got the popping noise STILL at the right front when accelerating from a stop. But over all... I no longer have the shimmy and shakes broken ball joint syndrome follow by the boom,BAM!!ruree..euree.. when i cannont avoid hitting Potland holes lol

Goodtimes man! 

Edited by Len Dawg
Typo