Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hub + bearing already pressed in?

1997 Legacy Outback AT AWD and the rear wheel bearing need to be
replaced. I don't own a press but I thought I might buy a replacement
hub with the bearing already pressed in. I've looked but can't find such
a product. Can you all recommend one or help me find an option?
Thanks!!!

doesn't exist for that application.

Bearing needs to go into the knuckle first, then retainer ring/clip and seal installed, then hub pressed in.

You could use an on car type "hub tamer".   Buying that and a slide hammer to remove hub might as well just pay a shop, unless you plan to do alot more of them.

• Like 1

doesn't exist for that application.

Bearing needs to go into the knuckle first, then retainer ring/clip and seal installed, then hub pressed in.

You could use an on car type "hub tamer".   Buying that and a slide hammer to remove hub might as well just pay a shop, unless you plan to do alot more of them.

That makes perfect sense. I think I'll remove the knuckle and bring it to a shop to do the pressing for me.

That makes perfect sense. I think I'll remove the knuckle and bring it to a shop to do the pressing for me.

Be prepared to cut the lower lateral link bolt to get the knuckle off. Possibly needing to replace the bushings in the lateral links as the bolt won't come out. You'll likely have $50+ in hardware at the dealer just to remove and re-install the knuckle.

Also, FYI, there are 3 seals

Edited by Numbchux
  • Like 2

My favorite lateral link bolt video

http://<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.21%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/w7rYxh0XWuA?ecver=2" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" width="641" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

Edited by Mike104
  • Like 1

Be prepared to cut the lower lateral link bolt to get the knuckle off. Possibly needing to replace the bushings in the lateral links as the bolt won't come out. You'll likely have $50+ in hardware at the dealer just to remove and re-install the knuckle.

Also, FYI, there are 3 seals

Is this the correct replacement bolt? Even if I can get the old one out it's likely to be in really bad shape.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Subaru-20540AA001-Bolt-Lateral/dp/B00ESKJJVY

Check the part number for your car here

www.parts.subaru.com

It may be the correct part number but best to confirm using your car information/VIN at the above website

You may also need washers and nut for that bolt plus the lower lateral link bushings.  If you scroll down to the bottom of that amazon page it shows you the additional items to add (two bushings).

Edited by Mike104

Is this the correct replacement bolt? Even if I can get the old one out it's likely to be in really bad shape.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Subaru-20540AA001-Bolt-Lateral/dp/B00ESKJJVY

Yep, Bolt is 20540AA001, MSRP of $24.95

Nut is 20550AA010, MSRP of $6.67

Washer is 900335056, MSRP of $1.44, x2

The bushings aren't usually very expensive, and swap pretty easily with a ball joint press. So you might want to replace those instead of fighting with getting the bolt out of it. There's a few different numbers for those, though. If you want to shoot me the last 8 digits of your VIN, I can look those up.