Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where To Find EA81 Large Valves?

I have a bent valve in an 85 Brat A/T. I want to replace it but I can't find any place that specifically has the Large valve. Rock Auto says it has it but i looked and the 82 Brat in their catalog uses the same valve part number. And correct me if I'm wrong but pre 84 had smaller valves... I just don't want to buy it pull the head and find out its the wrong one.

If you haven't pulled the head how do you know it's a bent valve?

Have you tried adjusting the rocker arm clearances?

If you're worried about getting the wrong valve, ask the shop you buy from about their return policy, and if they allow you to return an unused item I'd be ordering both valve sizes.

I reckon the issue is either a bit of get on stuck on the valve seat or the rocker arm clearances.

Best of luck with it.

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

@el_freddo Sorry I forgot to follow the topic. Honestly Bent valve is just a guess I have not pulled the head yet but I plan to this weekend. I did adjust the valve clearance and I'm 99% sure I did it correctly but it still taps. I did run it for about a minute and a half with tapping valve so I'm assuming I bent it. I thought the tapping was a tool rattling around. I'm dumb. ????

@GD Lovely. Any chance the ea82 valves are the same size?? I assume they're not but it's worth a try. If not I'll just try something custom

Yeah no bent valve there for sure!

If you're going by a tapping sound it seems to me as Subaru Scott said - valve adjustment.

Tapping can be due to the section of the arm that comes in contact with the valve wearing oddly (I can't remember what it's called), this wear doesn't allow you to ever get the valve clearances just right to get rid of the tapping sound.

I've got one arm like this on my ea81. You can remove the rocker arms (Which requires two head bolts to be removed) and have the surface refaced to remove this adjustment issue.

Or just live with a bit of the tappety-tap. It's an ea81 after all - and nothing like the "tick of death" of the ea82 ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Awesome that's great! When I do the valve clearance for the hydraulic valves, after I get to the zero point how much farther do I turn the adjustment bolt? I've seen everything from one and a half to 1/8 of a turn

Do the procedure exactly as mkoch outlined in his post. 1 1/2 turns. But you must be sure you are on the compression stroke at top dead center.

This is something you should probably have the designated valve adjustment tool with the thumbscrew knob in order to feel your zero point accurately. Fumbling around with pliers or a crescent wrench leaves too much time for the lifter to take up the slack before you can get another bite.