Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Locating a clutch cable spring for my 79 brat

So today I lost the spring for my clutch cable, my pedal went all the way to the floor. No good! I need a new cable anyways so i ordered one but it doesn't come with the spring.. can I use any generic one? Or a throttle linkage spring maybe? I'm having trouble finding the specific one for a ea71.

lost the spring on my 79 wagon when i was replacing the clutch cable, couldn't find one anywhere but its not necessary, but it gets rid of the slop on the pedal so it doesn't rattle around, i just went to home depot and got a generic longer spring, modified it with a torch and pliers, although im still not sure where its actually suppose to attach to over the block.

also expect about 7,000-10,000miles on an aftermarket clutch cable, you can extend its life by lubricating the inside of the cable with lithium grease every 2,000 miles, just fill it up until it begins to come out of the inside by the clutch pedal, also make sure all the washers, screws, and the angle the cable was in is exactly the same.

• Like 1

lost the spring on my 79 wagon when i was replacing the clutch cable, couldn't find one anywhere but its not necessary, but it gets rid of the slop on the pedal so it doesn't rattle around, i just went to home depot and got a generic longer spring, modified it with a torch and pliers, although im still not sure where its actually suppose to attach to over the block.

also expect about 7,000-10,000miles on an aftermarket clutch cable, you can extend its life by lubricating the inside of the cable with lithium grease every 2,000 miles, just fill it up until it begins to come out of the inside by the clutch pedal, also make sure all the washers, screws, and the angle the cable was in is exactly the same.

thanks for the tip! So I found that the cable had disconnected from the pedal and is badly frayed, which is fine I have a new one coming. I wanted to remove my clutch pedal so I could get a better view of the connection for the cable and I couldn't get the main shaft out for the pedals. The Chilton manual i have is crap for details/ what tools to use. I removed the clip for the main shaft and I can't figure out how to pull it out. Do I have to remove the steering column housing? Have you removed the clutch pedal before? Thanks in advance for all your help.

i have never removed the pedals before, but i've read that all 3 pedals come out as a whole, reason for members doing that on here is because when the clutch pedal backing begins to crack, which has never happened to me before on both of my EA71's, so i have no idea how that even occurs in the first place, you don't have as much reach with the pedal due to flexing, so the only way to fix it is to weld it up.

what i do know since i've done it multiple times already is the cable where it links to the pedal is the most difficult thing about a cable replacement, but the accelerator pedal is more difficult than the clutch pedal, if that brings your hopes up, its uncomfortable as hell and your ribs will be stabbed by the vehicle being upside down on the seat with your legs against the roof.

alittle hard to explain but the cylinder where they fused the cable to the chunk of lead? or whatever material that little cylinder is made out of needs to be poked out from the side with a small screwdriver, but before doing that, you need to feed enough cable to the pedal so that an arch forms above it..  little cylinder woun't come out unless the excess cable is pointing straight up. its a dual safety mechanism so you're not stranded with a cable disconnected, even though you can still drive a manual without a pedal since these cars don't have a clutch safety switch to avoid starting while in gear.