Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81T auto to manual help please

Lofti7

I don't plan on bashing it our anything that could be considered hard core 4 wheeling it will get trips up to ski resorts and a weekend driver mostly. And one cross country trip.

Are there problems with the single range transmissions or is the dual range just a better fit.

dual range uses lever activation.

Single uses vac solenoids.

In this case, since you don't alradey have a lever, it would be one more thing to add.

A single range 4wd from a loyale or DL might be just the ticket for ya.  non-turbo so will be 23 spline and 3.9 final.

Okay guys, I was able to find a single range trans from a 85 for a pretty good price they had a dual but what ever wreck it came from left scars all over it and a broken axle stub that scared me away.

So I'll swap to the single range for now and go to dual later if I feel the need.

I need shifter and linkage along with the center console, at this point color doesn't matter. also looking for a rear diff in a 3.9 23 spline if anyone has these our can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't express the amount of gratitude I have to all of you for taking the time to help me get this done. First test drive was tonight, no issues noticed. Couldn't have done it without all of your help. Reverse and 4x4 light ate wired up and I'm just waiting on the console and a few small things to be finished. I had to customize the trans mounts for some reason but other than that it was a pretty smooth experience.

BTW Where does the spring on the shift linkage go?

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:36 PM, Lofti7 said:

I can't express the amount of gratitude I have to all of you for taking the time to help me get this done. First test drive was tonight, no issues noticed. Couldn't have done it without all of your help. Reverse and 4x4 light ate wired up and I'm just waiting on the console and a few small things to be finished. I had to customize the trans mounts for some reason but other than that it was a pretty smooth experience.

BTW Where does the spring on the shift linkage go?

Picture of the spring, to jog my memory?

I figured it out, I was missing the bracket so I made one works great and shifter isn't so floppy. It's item 21 this isn't my exact shifter but I looked through a few of these and it seemed they are fairly common.

D301BBD2-3F5C-4204-B74A-BFDDE78C0E8E.png