Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High Idle - EA82T

So I've been doing some trouble shooting with my high idle issue with a GL-10 turbo. From everything I've seen on the form it looks like the CTS is the culprit and do to time line I've already got it on order. So when looking at the thermostat there is only a 1 wire sensor at the bottom of that. The only 2 wire sensor I was able to locate is a third of the way down the rad on the passenger side. The connector looks to be the same as what I'm searching out. one of the wires is in series with the A/C fan though which tells me this is switch rather than a sensor.

The only replacement vids I've been able to find are N/A models and have the two wire sensor under the thermostat which does not match what I'm looking at. Attached some photos of what I'm looking at.

post-71386-0-34623300-1526770240_thumb.jpg

post-71386-0-40499700-1526770242_thumb.jpg

The CTS cannot be on the radiator, that is something else, probably the fan sensor.

I can only look at the diagram in my FSM. The CTS looks like it is on a coolant duct - cast aluminum thing - behind the intake manifold. On the thermostat side of the engine.

The CTS is not ypur high idle culprit.

The ECU in turbo cars does not control idle speed according to coolant temperature  like a SPFI car does.

Have you:tried adjusting idle speed via the large brass idle speed adjustment screw in the throttle body?

Hotwire or flapper air flow meter?

Both have a fast idle control device but differ from series one flapper to series two Hotwire

High idle means it is getting more air bypassing throttle body butterfly

Hotwire or flapper air flow meter?

Both have a fast idle control device but differ from series one flapper to series two Hotwire

No they don`t.

Both turbo engines use the same AAV(auxilary air valve)  for high idle on a cold engine.

No CTS involved.

CTS is Bosch style 2 pin connector.  No pigtail, harness clips straight to it.  "natural" color.  In front of turbo area, in the crossover pipe portion of intake.

test if the idle issue is AAV related.  Pinch the hose.  If idle drops, then you're AAV is stuck open or leaking.

I've just capped of a few of them.  Then set the idle with the screw in the back of the throttle body.  Might mean needing a tad bit of foot throttle on very cold days to warm up, but otherwise works fine and is less annoying than a constant high idle.

Looks to be a combination issue. Found a few vacuum leaks that prompted me to replace all of the vacuum lines with new as they were all brittle and weren't sealing the best. Also looks like the previous owner took the cap off the AAV and didn't do a good job of resealing because it was apart and filled with junk. Cleaned it out but it was late last night so didn't start the car as the exhaust is not assembled so it's loud and i didn't want to wake my neighbors. So we'll see how she runs tonight. 

The AAV was already adjusted as far as it would go to lower idle so my guess is it's either leaking or seized. I'm going to follow Gloyale's advice and just clamp the hose and be done with it. Probably needs to be pretty cold for this to make for hard starts with the hose clamped. 

Thanks for the help all !