Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2nd Gen custom double din console

Subaru Scott

Finally started building the console for my 83, so the stereo won't be hanging from straps anymore...

Just wanted to ask if anyone has had success paint matching the light brown interior?

Probably just going to go with black, but figured I'd at least throw this out there.

You know how it is, when the color is just "close," then it looks way worse than if you just try to contrast with a different color. 

There was a reply to this before the reset, not sure what happened.

Anyway, I really didn't want to try and modify the stock console because it just isn't deep enough to house a full-size double din.

Didn't want it sticking out, I like the flush look. And I wanted it angled, to see and access the screen easily.

So this is how I started, with a framework of aluminum angle and flat bar. The sides are being made with 12mm PVC board, which I LOVE, and also use for making boat furniture.

IMG_5375.jpg

Got the other side fabbed up. 

One of the main things I love about this PVC board is that you can make bends with a heat gun. 

I'm gonna rock it like this for awhile, and decide what and where I want on the front panel.

Wish list:  Sturdy smart phone mount, Small section for aux. switches and maybe gauges, Open pocket to shove crap in, Classy shift boot.

IMG_5384.jpg

It’s only available here at Home Depot, one of our “big box” home improvement stores.

I believe you can get it online, but shipping for a 4’x8’ panel is preposterous.

The other stores are carrying some pvc planks, but no sheets. 

They are $75 each, which would be a lot for just a console, but I’m using it already for boats.