Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replaced first (rebuild) pump at the shop. It did not work at all. Replaced the 2nd pump (new after market). IT works but when making turns it makes noise. I have seen some videos on-line and tested for recommended troubleshooting but so far nothing helps. When bleeding the pump we placed the reservoir higher than the pump. No bubbles in the container. We also replaced the O-ring (because original got damaged while installing). The mechanic (or I rather should call him handy man) did a crappy job. the canister was also removed and cleaned.  This is Forester-2007(non turbo), with 108k miles. No leaking can be found so I'm out of clue what else could cause this. I wonder if we should order another pump or there is anything else to test ?

Any ideas appreciated

ART

What kind of noise?  Is the belt slipping?  Have you tried tightening it?

I have a problem with ancient fluid, it stinks like hell and after 200,000 miles it's probably not up to standards anymore.  I took the hoses off mine and used a turkey baster to empty the reservoir , filled it, steered it, drained it again then filled it a second time.  I don't know if it applies to this system, but in my other car it tells you to fill it, put the front wheels on jack stands,  turn the wheel both ways to the stop a few times WITHOUT the engine running.  Check the fluid level and do it again.  That was with my original(?) pump and it worked fine.  Oh, last time I turned the wheels both ways with the engine running.  I'd try the turning on jack stands trick a few times with the engine off.  But I do not know anything about aftermarket pumps or if they are known to have problems.

Souperoo - I did all of this before your post. The mechanic put the O-ring wrong and it got damaged. They replaced it with something similar but I guess it's a bit smaller.  The wheel is running nice and smooth but the pump is still making whining noise. I plan to go to Subaru dealer and purchase original O-ring and replace both clamps on the container. If the pump is brand new I do not see the reason to replace the fluid 2-3 times.  Of course pump might be faulty but I doubt. It looks like an air problem only. All belts are working fine and cover is bit loos on one end (as expected).

For what its worth, I changed PS fluid in my 97 honda odyssey, & let it get too low while refilling. It made awe-full ,loud growling/whining noise. Filled up canister but was still making noise. I shut off engine and waited, and restarted but noise still there. Took a few days and finally went away. I thought for sure I killed it! Must have been trapped air?