Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Factory A/C

I recently just bought an 84 Subaru brat with factory a/c and was wondering if anyone could show me a pic of how the a/c belt is ran and if there are any pulleys and/or tensioners I may be missing... ive looking everywhere and cant seem to find any info or pics...

You need an AC pulley, the stock crank pulley is single channel. I believe there are three types (I've only seen two myself), one for stock, one for stock + PS, and one for stock + PS + AC. The AC runs on the one closest to the radiator.

That top pulley is a tensioner. You can see how it zig zags over/around the alternator's fan belt.

Best of luck with it. I reckon you'll find one after a bit of searching. A tensioner pulley from an MY with AC will fit ;)

Cheers

Bennie

• 4 weeks later...

George1943's pic looks just like the setup in my '85. As an footnote,  mine is missing the upper idler/tensioner bracket and pulley and I've never been able to find one for sale anywhere. I bought a generic replacement but haven't gotten around to drilling a new hole so I can mount it. Or try to mount it. On the lower bracket, I had a bad bearing which is easily replaced. 

1 hour ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

if you have a pulley with a bad bearing, maybe the bearing can be replaced?

I don't think he's got the bracket that the pulley mounts on let alone the pulley itself :/

Best of luck on that item, I doubt you'd find anyone selling just that part if they've got a complete system - it is a critical part for it to be complete.

A wrecker or parts years will be your best bet!

Cheers

Bennie

hmmm....how about a product like Quick-link or Power Twist. Not sure about longevity or if they can be properly tensioned, but you might be able to just bypass the tensioner with an 'emergency' belt of some type, just shorter belt - maybe rig a way to tension it as you install? Maybe slot one of the holes for the a/c or the PS? 

But maybe it MUST route as shown to clear some obstruction?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

• 2 weeks later...