Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everyone, I’m a new Subaru WRX, owner. I’ve loved the car since I was in high school and finally was able to get one! I have concerns about the power...

when I’m accelerating (not 100% or anything) through first, second, and third, between 3500 and 4500 rpms, my car seems to hesitate... after it hits about 5000, it pushes through and becomes the car that I expect it to be! Smooth and powerful acceleration...maybe I’m losing power? Or could my clutch be slipping? Turbo problem? WHAT THE F%*# is happening???

ps. I’ll admit, I’m a poser and don’t know spoob about cars, but really want to learn more and grow with my car... 

thanks in advance!

First - a set of questions. 
What year and Mileage? Also, How long have you had it? That said, what service do you know that it has had? 

If unknown, I'd start off with a tuneup. Spark plugs, wires, air filter, etc. The reason I'd start with that is what you described can be a number of things. From spark all the way to timing. 

If the car has over 150k (or over 100k, really) and you don't know much of the last service, Timing really should be done. 

-Justin

Scan the ECU for pending codes.

Maybe you could arrange to test drive another new one. Borrow a car or have someone take you to a dealer. If you still feel there's a difference, you may need to demonstrate the difference to a service writer or tech.

Otherwise - you may just need to wait until it pops a solid CEL.

• Like 1

Read this: Car and Driver Review

Specifically:

While the WRX’s powerful engine may result in impressive numbers on the track, it struggles in day-to-day driving. Turbo lag is considerable, and the engine’s power delivery is jerky—power comes and goes with the force and unpredictability of a bucking mechanical bull. 

Did you test drive any other cars first (not a criticism)? Subarus are 'laggy'.....You might consider a tune, but it'll probably 'null and void' your warranty.

TD

Edited by wtdash

• 2 weeks later...

when I had my WRX at the track the first time, I had an instructor off and on. They were trying to get people to not treat the accelerator like a switch - to roll-on and roll-off appropriately.

Once, my instructor praised me "good throttle roll-on!"

I didn't tell him I was flooring it just before the apex and he was feeling the turbo spool on the exit!

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1