Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I purchased a 1992 SVX from auction in Japan, and upon arrival a few days ago the transmission was DOA, does anyone know if the American transmission will bolt in with no issues, or do I have to try and source a JDM transmission?

Pretty sure all the JDMs had the VTD transmission, which is really nice but will be next to impossible to find in the states.

The simplest fix will be getting yours rebuilt but it won’t be cheap.

The common fix is sourcing a phase 1 trans and rear differential from an Outback or Forester, but then you would probably need a TCU as well and I’m not sure if it would be plug and play.

And then you could always go to a manual transmission, but that’s a lot more work.

Go to SVX Nation on Facebook to find the real gurus.

All the Phase 1 trans TCUs for USDM should interchange, but w/JDM??? Good question.

What's the Trans ID on top of the bellhousing - should start with "TZ...." like, TZ102Z1CAA. 

Also, look on the rear diff, as it may show the ratio. It was shown on older Subarus...not sure when it stopped.