Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 brat. Need advice from a expert.

Have a 85 subaru brat gl. 127k miles. Most of all that was pulled behind a rv. Sat for many years. No rust. Not beat up al all.. i have tried to research and educate myself more on these vehicles. Seems people act like its all a secret. Need help: its been back and for of running great and then barley running at all. Wont pull a hill or even get to 20mph on flat ground. Then im doing 75 andruns awesome. I have tried advancing the timing. Checked over all vac lines. Replaced many of them with new lines. Been trying to clean all ports and lines. Now it seems when its clod it runs fine. When it warms up. It wont pull around. Trying to take the carb off today and maybe find some trash i can get out.. i am not very familiar with these cars and will greatly appreciate and good advice.... would enjoy actually talking to someone as i am slow at messaging

Have been thinking a big timing issue as well.. this thing has never had any matainace. Everything on it is original including the timing belts. Kind of thought i have stretched the belts or might have lost some teeth. Couple more days i will have the new ones.. does this carburetor require a proper rebuild kit? Or just take apart and throw it back on?.. and its not breaking loose yet. Letting some cleaner soak in. I dont feel comfortable using a pry bar to get it off the intake. Dont want to mess nothing up

Its off. I dont have a kit with new gaskets. So im worried about trying to take the thing completely apart. Just cleaning what i can get to and shooting air through all ports.. the small port on top of the intake had a layer of corrosion that seems to been a blockage of some sort. If that small port even matter. Going to clean all that well and vacuum it all out. Put it back on. Shall see if i helped anything idk

If you can't afford gaskets for the carb then I highly suggest you sell the broken Durango, sell the Brat (they fetch a good price when the body is nice) and buy an older Corolla/Geo Prizm. Old Subaru's are difficult and hard to get parts for. Carb anything is tough these days especially old Japanese Hitachi carbs. They are fairly complex and I don't recommend rebuilding by the uninitiated - let alone without any parts on hand. That is sure to leave you worse off than you are now. 

GD 

14 hours ago, Thudspudnic said:

Location of fuel filters?

Usually one up front and one out the back under the tray. 

Stick with it. These are great runners once sorted.  It does seem like a carb problem and I'd also check the distributor shaft play as suggested by GD (bush replacement in dizzy).

All the best with it!

Cheers

Bennie

PS: it could also be a weak fuel pump too.

Edited by el_freddo
  • Thanks 1

Yea. Pulled plugs. Taking off the #2 cylinder seems to make no difference. Starting to think a valve is stuck of something from all the years its been sitting!.. still it should pull just fine with 3 cylinders working on it.. cap. Wires. Rotor button all new. Fuel filter is fine... it just so dumb. It acts fine the bogs out.. having carb rebuilt right now until i can replace it with the other kind... when it acts up. Play with the air and gas for a few minutes and it starts to pull again. So high hope this will get me back on the road till i can get a compression check and play with the valves.(a brat was my first car but i flipped it!. I use to have many elcaminos and this is my elcamino ENVY. With better gas mileage and 4x4). Thx all!