Ultimate Subaru Message Board

79 DL WAGON ALT. WIRING HELP....

FUEL PUMP NOT WORKING, READ THAT IT WONT WORK IF ALT. DOES NOT PUT OUT ENOUGH JUICE. ALT. SEEMS NOT TO BE CHARGING BATTERY. CHECKED TWO WIRES FROM PLUG ON BACK OF ALT. BOTH GO INTO PLUG COMING OUT OF WHAT I THINK IS THE CVR ON PASSANGER FENDER (MEDIUM SIZE GOLD BOX) SECOND BLACK WIRE GOES FROM SINGLE BOLT ON BACK OF ALT.  INTO ANOTHER SMALL SINGLE PLUG ALSO GOING INTO CVR--THATS ALL THE WIRING. DOES THAT SEEM RIGHT? 

are you still using the original fuel pump? the one that clicks constantly like its some kind of dog trainer clicker? that belongs in the trash, also don't buy the aftermarket "OEM" one that they sell at oreilly's or autozone, i think its by direct import, they go out every 2 months for whatever reason.

i got a MR. Gasket Fuel Pump for GM Vehicles, but make sure you get a fuel regulator for it inline or else your fuel bowl will be too full and making left turns or right turns will shut your engine off, depending on what carb you currently have.

does it still have the original regulator on the vehicle? i have the specs on how to calibrate the points inside of it if you know how to do it, wouldn't mind posting it up if you need it. i didn't bother and just bought a new one, they're like 20 bucks. both of my EA71's needed them, one at 65,000miles, the other at 95,000miles. common item to go out of calibration.

also redo those ring terminals that go in the back of the alternator, they're not the best quality.

--- forgot to mention, i've never had power to that original wire that goes to the fuel pump on any of my EA71's, not sure why, infact it showed it was being a ground instead of a hot wire. i tapped switch power from the + ignition coil, stuck a relay to the shock tower, ran a power wire from the battery on a fuse to the relay, and then another wire from the relay to the fuel pump. do you know how to wire a relay?

Edited by Subasaurus